cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print 5x7 photos on Imageclass MF644cdw

mtkliu
Contributor

Is it possible to print on 5x7 photo papers?  When printing, there is no paper size of 5x7 or 4x6.  Is there a way to define a custom sizes for them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just tried again, the driver now allows me to set custom size to 5x7.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hi ramareid.

The MF644Cdw is a laser printer, not a photo printer.  It is capable of printing images, though it is not specialized for the task, and will not have as accurate a print resolution as an equivalent inkjet printer.

Because the MF644Cdw is business-oriented, the preset paper sizes reflect the designed utility.  In order to use a non-standard paper size, it needs to first be set on the printer, and then pulled onto the computer through the printer driver (as linked in the post above).

Also, as mentioned above, many photo papers are designed specifically for use in inkjet printers.  The coating on such paper is not intended for use in laser printers, and it may lead to damage and/or poor print results.  Ensure the packaging for the photo paper you are using specifically mentions "laser printers."

If you are unable to set a custom paper size, double-check the software that you are using to print.  Some programs and apps presecribe specific default paper sizes (based on the selected printer); if your software/app is not letting you set the paper size using the driver interface, try printing from a different program or app.

If this answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button, so others might find the answer.

Not really a useful solution. but htanks for trying. 

5x7 is a standard photocard. This is a high resolution business printer. Business use includeds 5x7 photocards for distribution or mailers. I'm not looking for archival quality prints. Just the ability to use my color printer. 

by the way, it even has a manual feed slot for smaller items, down to 3x5 cards or so. Still really surprised this isn't standard.

try this, it worked for me.

set up a 5x7 custom paper setting in paper settings on the printer.

then on your computer...
open printers & Scanners in the system settings.
select the canon printer and click manage.
click printer properties
go to the device settings tab
click the button with the two arrows to retrieve information from the printer
then click on paper size settings and you can click on the custom 5x7 you set up on the printer.
it should now show up as an option in your paper list when you try to print.

...at least I think this is how I did it. I have a small business that just filled hundreds of orders for the holidays and my brain is not quite recovered. in any case, it has to be set on the printer and then set up in device management in the system settings on the computer. its really a pain. i don't understand why, if the printer is capable of printing 5x7 they don't just update the driver and then it would be no problem. 

I'm not getting it. I need to print 5x7 thank you cards for customers that have preprinted logo and address info on the back side. I set up a 5x7 cutom paper setting on the printer but it doesn't show up as an option when I try to print. I did the retrieve paper info from the printer and still nothing. This seems like a pretty complex setup simply to print on 5x7 paper. I also need to print on 5.5x8.5 from time to time but if I can't get 5x7 set then...  

The only way I found is to put you picture in an usb flash drive, plug it into the printer directly and set the printer to 5x7 paper size.

Announcements