cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MF644Cdw print from PC indicates out of paper; copy and print from USB work

Livingston
Apprentice

Have a brand new imageCLASS MF644Cdw.  Installation/initial setup appeared fine.  Printer is on ethernet; PCs access network wirelessly.

Print test from Win 10 PCs fails indicating out of paper.  Ran the test with a second PC; same results.  Uninstalled/reinstalled printer and drivers; tested again; no change.

The printer's COPY function works, and I can print from USB, so don't suspect hardware problem with paper tray.

Firmware indicates latest.  Driver was downloaded automatically by PC, so assume most current.

Looked at paper setups on printer and PC.  Tried a print forcing Tray 1, but same error.

Device manager seems to indicate 2 items: the printer and the printer queue.  There was an error message during driver install that might mean something.

"Device SWD..... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".  Still showed successful install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Darius
Whiz

Hello Livingston.

The drivers automatically downloaded by Windows operating systems are pre-installed drivers created by Microsoft themselves. These pre-installed drivers do not support all functions of the printer, and may experinece problems for which we're unable to provide support.

Try removing the current printer entry, then downloading and running the Canon-produced drivers from the MF644Cdw Drivers & Downloads page.  You should only need the one listed in the Recommended Drivers section.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Darius
Whiz

Hello Livingston.

The drivers automatically downloaded by Windows operating systems are pre-installed drivers created by Microsoft themselves. These pre-installed drivers do not support all functions of the printer, and may experinece problems for which we're unable to provide support.

Try removing the current printer entry, then downloading and running the Canon-produced drivers from the MF644Cdw Drivers & Downloads page.  You should only need the one listed in the Recommended Drivers section.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you very much.  I'll post back the results either way.   Makes sense, since the indication is that its likely the PC driver, or a very specific sensor failure.

BTW, I tried to contact Canon via the phone list.  Within 30 minutes of the help desk start time, the wait time was >30 minutes, within 2 hours, >40 minutes, and within 3 hours > 60 minutes wait, which continued until the service closed for the day.  I posted in the printer general comments about that service.

This blog is my second attempt to get help from Canon.  I'm pleased it's being monitored.

This hasn't been the greatest of experiences for my first Canon laser purchase.

That was it!  I had MSFT driver(s), and they were a bit too generic.

Had only one Recommended driver for the two Win 10 laptops.

Also have a Win 7 that's rarely used.  Win didn't find a driver for that machine when I installed the new printer on it.  I'll see if there are Canon drivers.  If not, it's not a problem since that machine is rarely used for print.

Thanks for being responsive to my original post!

Announcements