cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networked imageClass D480 prints but won't scan like it used to

Rocky_hockey
Apprentice

Hello all,

We have a network connected Canon imageClass D480 which had been working for my wife on her Windows 10 notebook (printing used to work fine for others on the network as well). She was able to print with no trouble and scan over the IP network only with a little help with the “how to”, not with any of the possible technical issues. However, she had been having ongoing wireless networking problems in that she had been having difficulty remaining connected to our network. She would be spontaneously dropped from the network and she would have to reconnect manually, a very annoying problem we’ve been working to try and solve for a long time. In one of many attempts to fix it, she believed (with my son’s help) that the printer/scanner drivers might have had something to do with the problem. I wasn’t part of the attempt – my son helped my wife – but I thought it was worth giving it a try and if it wasn’t the problem, it would be a simple matter of reinstalling the Canon tools.

The printer driver turned out not to be the problem but I can’t seem to get things back to work the way they were. The printer drivers reinstalled and worked with no difficulty but I can’t get scanning working again. I installed the following elements downloaded from the Canon web site:

ColorNetworkScanGear-v271_Win_us_EN.exe

D480MFDriversV270W64usEN.exe

D480_FirmwareUpdateTool_V078.exe

ToolBox4911mf18WinEN.exe

All installations completed successfully. The list includes the firmware update tool. I updated the firmware on the printer since it had never been done and on the off chance that that might have made a difference. I can’t seem to figure out what the problem is. The ScanGear Tool detects the device properly. The D480 is detected and located (192.168.1.200) and when “Test Connection” is pressed, the message “The selected scanner is available for scanning” is returned. I conclude from this, and that the printer prints properly, that the hardware is working and at a fundamental level, the connections are proper and working.

However, the Canon MF Toolbox says that no scanner is connected. No other TWAIN enabled application allows a source selection of the Canon as a scanner. This ALL USED TO WORK! For the life of me, I can’t get it to work again. All I want to be able to do is get back to the capability I had before my wife tested her connection problem. Any help offered is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Rocky_hockey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Rockey_hockey.

The MF Toolbox is not a supported program when the D480 is connected over the network. It is only supported with a USB connection, for this printer.

You will need to scan using a third party, TWAIN-compatible, scanning software. We recommend performing an Internet search for scanning software that is compatible with your operating system. Because of the amount of scanning software that is available, we are unable to advise of a specific program.

If you have any further questions, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Rockey_hockey.

The MF Toolbox is not a supported program when the D480 is connected over the network. It is only supported with a USB connection, for this printer.

You will need to scan using a third party, TWAIN-compatible, scanning software. We recommend performing an Internet search for scanning software that is compatible with your operating system. Because of the amount of scanning software that is available, we are unable to advise of a specific program.

If you have any further questions, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Wow, OK.  That's too bad and somewhat surprising.  I guess I'll have to figure out something else.  It all used to work but I wish my wife didn't try to fix her network problem the way she did.  Oh well, thanks for replying so I don't wind up wasting any more of my time.

-Rocky_hockey

irateb
Apprentice

Sorry for replying to a super old post, but just in case someone has an imageCLASS D480 still going strong, and gets a new computer only to struggle with getting it to network scan, hopefully this will work for you. Not sure which of the pieces of software installs it because I installed them all, but you have to run the ScanGear Tool and have it either discover the printer or you point it to the printer before you'll be able to scan.

It's okay.  I found that NAPS2 (Not Another Pdf Scanner 2) works pretty well.  It's my default scanning program with my networked Canon D480 which still works fine.

-Rocky_hockey

Announcements