cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify MB2720 only prints one page in Linux

rjthomson
Apprentice

I have installed the Canon software for my MB2720 (cnijfilter2-5.40-1-deb) on MXlinux-KDE and can only print the first page of a job. (All hardware works correctly while running Windows 11.) The PPD file supplied (canonmb2700.ppd) does not support the two trays on my MB2720, making it useless. Switching to the system-recommended (Canon MB2700 series, driverless, cups-filters 1.28.7) allows selection of tray 2, but still only prints one page. This action occurs with over 15 distributions of LInux (thanks VMware!!) and on two different computers. Both computers have worked with this printer and Linux up until about a year ago.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Noticing that my previous reply was incomplete - I edited the Tray2 information I found in a CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) PPD file which had the 1 page only problem into the Canon supplied file which printed multiple pages but only from Tray 1. The resulting combined file works correctly and if anybody at Canon cared about Linux could be applied and tested by the "official, paid" engineers and released to the Linux community by "at least" replacing the faulty .deb file and/or. "better" by submitting the proper information to the CUPS maintainers. (I don't know how to do that, but your engineers "should" be smart enough in their field to handle it.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Unfortunately, Linux is not a supported operating system for the MB2720. We do have two versions of the Linux driver that you can download and try from our support site using the link HERE but, they are provided as is and we do not support installation or use of the drivers.

rjthomson
Apprentice

I have these files already. The Canon-supplied PPD file for my MB2720 (which only comes with two trays installed) does not support tray 2. Since I use Tray 1 for envelopes and Tray 2 for Letter paper, that file is useless. Or, as you stated: "we do not support installation or use of the drivers". That means I cannot support purchase or use of Canon printers as your engineers are unable to do a job which other companies routinely accomplish.

Noticing that my previous reply was incomplete - I edited the Tray2 information I found in a CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) PPD file which had the 1 page only problem into the Canon supplied file which printed multiple pages but only from Tray 1. The resulting combined file works correctly and if anybody at Canon cared about Linux could be applied and tested by the "official, paid" engineers and released to the Linux community by "at least" replacing the faulty .deb file and/or. "better" by submitting the proper information to the CUPS maintainers. (I don't know how to do that, but your engineers "should" be smart enough in their field to handle it.)

Thanks for your post. About a year back or so my wife's Canon 2740 started doing the same. As an owner of multiple pc retail stores I have also noticed an increase in call outs to clients running Windows 11 and Linux with Canon printers whereby the Canon software no longer works and we have to use 3rd party scanning and printing software. Based on the official response above from Hector. I will be instructing my staff to stop stocking Canon printers with immediate effect. I will donate my Canon printer to some poor soul and rather replace all my shop printers and house printers with HP / Samsung. Absolutely ridiculous service. The driver USED to work fine but some tech at Canon broke it and their response is, "Linux isn't supported", so then why even have your tech regress the driver? It's also odd as we just had a Canon rep in my stores a few weeks ago bragging about Canon and Linux support. Ironically using their Android app prints fine - which is based on Linux...

Thats around 100 printers per month that will go to more deserving brands. All my pc's and stores run Linux thats over 140 pc's. At-least I now have closure to this annoying bug.

Announcements