cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634cdw, Mac OSX 10.14.1 Mojave, newest drivers broken

north
Contributor

I've been using this printer with Word 2011 for Mac succesfully for years. Last week I installed Office 365 (since the 2011 version of Office for Mac is at end-of-life). I was unable to print envelopes with Word 365 (version 16.19) so I installed new Canon drivers from their website, MF Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V10.11.1.  This turned out to be a huge mistake, as I was no longer able to print envelopes from Word 2011 either (fortuantely I kept the old Word app on my computer).  I also updated the printer firmware, which made no difference. I don't know how printer drivers communicate with application software, but it appears the new driver doesn't inform the application correctly about available formats that include manualy fed envelopes in rotated orientation (narrow edge inserted into the printer). After a lot of fiddling, including attempting to restore only /Library/Printers, I gave up and restored the entire hard drive to its state before updating the Canon drivers. Now I can at least print envelopes from Word 2011 again with the old drivers. Possibly with some coaxing Word 365 could print envelopes too (it appears new options are exposed to the user in a panel under "Mailings"), but I haven't spent much time as this has been a  bigtime waster so far. I hope the Canon drivers can be updated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrice
Whiz

Hi north.

I will be glad to assist you.

Please note that the forum is not meant for an immediate response. If you need immediate assistance with this issue, we will have to recommend that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

The September driver update should have corrected the printing issues. I do see that you were able to restore the computer and use the older drivers. It is possible that since the older drivers were still installed, that this may be causing the issue. It is recommended that you completely uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall the updated drivers from the Canon website. Please follow the steps below to completely uninstall the drivers:

1. Open [System Preferences] -> click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Select the printer you are using -> click [-] icon.

3. Delete the folders and files for the driver you are deleting.

• [System Volume]/Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2
  • [System Volume]/Library/LaunchAgents/jp.co.canon.UFR2.BG.plist
  • [System Volume]/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/CNTD***Z*2*.ppd.gz
    Where *** indicates a character string that represents the printer model, and *2* indicates a character string that represents the corresponding language.

Important

If you delete a "PPD.gz" file other than that of the printer model you want to delete, the printer driver may not work correctly.

Note:

If the [Authenticate] dialog box is displayed, enter the administrators name and password -> click [OK].

4. Restart your computer.

5.  Empty the Trash.
Uninstallation is complete.

After you have reinstalled the drivers, please try printing again. If the issues persist, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

north
Contributor

I previously posted in the Office printer forum, at  https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Office-Printers/MFC634cdw-Mac-OSX-10-14-1-Mojave-newest-drivers-b...

There was no reply there, so I'm trying here. The drivers on the Canon download site are dated 09/18/18.  The current drivers don't seem to be able to print envelopes correctly using the multipurpose tray, at least with Microsoft Word (either Word 365 or Word for Mac 2011 which still runs though marked as obsolete). I did get a lot of blank envelopes (text rotated incorrectly or just missing) and contents printed on 8.5x11 sheets although an envelope was in the feed tray. When I restored the old drivers the printer works OK again, so I don't think there's any misunderstanding on my part. 

Patrice
Whiz

Hi north.

I will be glad to assist you.

Please note that the forum is not meant for an immediate response. If you need immediate assistance with this issue, we will have to recommend that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

The September driver update should have corrected the printing issues. I do see that you were able to restore the computer and use the older drivers. It is possible that since the older drivers were still installed, that this may be causing the issue. It is recommended that you completely uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall the updated drivers from the Canon website. Please follow the steps below to completely uninstall the drivers:

1. Open [System Preferences] -> click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Select the printer you are using -> click [-] icon.

3. Delete the folders and files for the driver you are deleting.

Where *** indicates a character string that represents the printer model, and *2* indicates a character string that represents the corresponding language.

Important

If you delete a "PPD.gz" file other than that of the printer model you want to delete, the printer driver may not work correctly.

Note:

If the [Authenticate] dialog box is displayed, enter the administrators name and password -> click [OK].

4. Restart your computer.

5.  Empty the Trash.
Uninstallation is complete.

After you have reinstalled the drivers, please try printing again. If the issues persist, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for offering a solution. 

Good news is that it does work, when the right driver is selected. After installing new Canon driver, when adding back the printer that was previouisly removed, OSX Mojave sugegsts any of "Airprint" "Canon MF632C/634C" or "Canon MF632C/634C CARPS2".  I don't know what CARPS2 means but it worked. (I didn't notice CARPS2 previously but maybe it was there all along.)  It might help to give it a more informative name, like "ForOSXMojave" or whatever makes sense. It might be a good idea to include specific instructions about selecting the driver.

Less good news is that the Airprint driver doesn't work - has problems previously reported with paper size.

Also, after deleting the printer, I didn't find any files named

nor were these files installed with the new driver.  I hope this is ok.  

Another useful tip is that users who are familiar with shell commands can use "tmutil" to save and restore local snapshots of the APFS file system which may be useful in these situations.  (Think of the thosuands of developer-years it took to make this possible!)

Thanks again.

Stephen

Announcements