cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFC 743CDW not printing

BobFazekas
Apprentice

I have a 743CDW connected via ethernet that will no longer print.  The link light shows no activity.  I have also connected via USB and the printer still does not print.  The printer also reboots itself ramdomly all day.  It is still under warranty, but I have been unable to get Canon on the phone (waited on hold for 2 hours twice.  Hung up on both times)  to get instructions for warranty work.  Has anyone seen/solved the kind of problem I am having, or does anyone have a better way to reach Canon?  

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Start here:

Power off the printer and unplug from power source.  Press and hold the power button for 30 sec.

Reconnect to power and power the printer on.  Does it start normally?  What does the printers touch screen display?

Looks normal, proceed.

Test the ethernet connection with another device.  Ensure connectivity and PING over this connection.  If the devices can communicate, the network is verified.

Now perform a factory reset on the device.  With the device reset and restarted, connect the ethernet cable again.  Check for link again.

If it appears to be working, perform set up again, assign the printer a static IP and reinstall on your devices.

If that does not work, try connecting the USB again, plug this in to a computer.  It should detect..  It may not have the drivers it needs, but it should "announce" its presence.

After a reset, If the printer does not communicate on ethernet or USB there is likely a problem.  The device has a 3 yr warranty from Canon.  You'll need to get in touch with them.  

To receive service, your device has to be registered.

Sign In - MyCanon

If its registered, you can use the portal to request support / repair.

If you are not in the United States...

For Product and Support Information | Canon Global

Here is an example:

support.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello BobFazekas,

The issue does look like a power supply issue or a problem with the hardware. You can try unplugging the printer from the power and then pressing the power button 10 times while the printer is unplugged. After that, you can plug the printer into a different power source and you can try turning it on. If possible, test the printer while it is plugged directly into the wall and not in a power strip.

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. You can also try contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666 but, the printer will need to be registered to a My Canon Account before you can call in.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. When you try to print, do you get an error message or what happens?
  3. Are you able to make a copy? If not, what error do you get?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements