cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF8540CDn - Upgraded to Windows 10 1903 - Won't scan anymore?

kaiman69
Apprentice

My MF8540CDn printer has been working flawlessy for som years now, but when I recently upgraded Windows 10 to v1903 I couldn't use the scanner part anymore. (Printing works fine) MF Toolbox can't find any scanners and tells me that no scanners are installed... I'm using wired ethernet, not USB.

Nothing has changed with my setup, the only difference is the new version of Windows 10.

I've tried updating and re-installing all drivers and MF Toolbox (currenty running Toolbox v4.9.1.1) but to no avail.

I've searched this forum and seen older threads with people having similar problems with other MF machines. I've tried some of the solutions, but I just can't get it working. 

Is there any hope for a fix coming from Canon? Any suggestions to what I might try to get it working againg?

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Update: Just got it working!! Smiley Very Happy

The "secret" was downloading from the correct site. At first I downloaded drivers from the Norwegian Canon site (I'm from Norway). I don't think these models are sold in the States? (Perhaps under a different name).

These drivers didn't work with Windows 10 1903, at least not for me. (Probably too old - not localized yet)

However, the Canon's EU site had newer drivers (released July 2019): Link

Installed the printer driver as well as MF Toolbox from this site and everything was working fine again. Phew!

Thanks for listening in. Perhaps these posts can be of some help for others having similar problems.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

slb
Apprentice

I have a Canon PIXMA MX340 that had the same problem. After the recent Windows 10 version 1910 feature update was applied to my computer, the scanner function did not work. The printer still printed, but scanning did not work. I uninstalled the Canon MP printer drivers from the computer using the Windows 10 Control Panel/Programs/Programs and Features,  then redownloaded the printer drivers from www.usa.canon.com for my printer model. I also redownloaded the MP Navigator version for my printer, and now the scanner works.

Thanks for  your reply, slb. Glad you worked it out! 

MP Navigator seems to be for printers in the Pixma series, not in the i-SENSYS series that my printer belongs to.

It seems to me that lost scanner functionality has been a recurring problem every(?) time Windows 10 has been upgraded. Hope it doesn't take Canon too long to fix this. I'm considering another MF machine as I scan a lot and can't really wait months to get this fixed. Too bad, I really liked this machine, but at the moment I don't know what else I can try.

Maybe try uninstalling the device drivers via the Windows 10 program uninstall process (either via Control Panel or Settings/Apps) and then download the drivers from Canon. I had tried just downloading the MP Navigator utility and that did not solve the problem. After I uninstalled the printer drivers and then downloaded the drivers from Canon, the scanning function worked.

Update: Just got it working!! Smiley Very Happy

The "secret" was downloading from the correct site. At first I downloaded drivers from the Norwegian Canon site (I'm from Norway). I don't think these models are sold in the States? (Perhaps under a different name).

These drivers didn't work with Windows 10 1903, at least not for me. (Probably too old - not localized yet)

However, the Canon's EU site had newer drivers (released July 2019): Link

Installed the printer driver as well as MF Toolbox from this site and everything was working fine again. Phew!

Thanks for listening in. Perhaps these posts can be of some help for others having similar problems.

Announcements