cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743CDW Can't Handle 6.75x9 Paper, Jams

Micmann
Contributor

Can't print on 6.75"W x 9"L paper without jamming.  I've tried both paper drawers, and manual feed.  I have registered the paper size as a custom paper and tried all paper thickness settings.  The printer pulls the paper in and jams just before exiting the top, sometimes halfway out the top.  I have to pull it out the rest of the way by hand or open the back and retrieve the jammed paper.  It appears fine. Not wrinkled or torn, just stops feeding as if the printer sensors stopped seeing it.  Sometimes it will get one or two through and then jam.  Sometimes it jams on the first try.  Frustrating.  Have a project that I need to print on this size and can't.

This size fits well within the printers published paper size capability, but I just can't get it to work without jamming.  Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Micmann,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution, you can contact support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666.

1. What type of paper are you printing on and what weight is it?
  2. Do you get any specific errors on the computer or printer when the paper jams?
  3. Do you run into same with other paper sizes or paper types?

Hector:

Thanks for the reply. 

1. The paper is 6.75"W x 9"L 17lb.  It's a pre-printed color form, not glossy.

2. I get a paper jammed error on the printer telling me to open the back and remove the jam.  Sometimes the paper is sticking out the last roller at the top just before dropping to the catch tray and I can pull it out.  Sometimes I have to open the back and pull it out.  As I mentioned above its not crumpled, it's just sitting there at the top or back. 

3. I do not have an issue with other paper sizes or types so far.  Mostly use 8.5"x11".

As I stated above, I have set the paper size as a custom size and set the weight to 17lb as well as others trying to get it to work. Still will not work.

Hello Micmann,

If the issue is only happening with the pre-printed forms, it might have to do with the media type you are selecting while printing or the finish on the paper causing paper feed issues. In this situation, you can try switching the paper from plain paper 1 to a different paper type to see if it works or trying a test print on some plain paper cut to the same size. 

To check all the variables and to go through all of the settings, I would suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to resolve the issue.

Announcements