cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF741Cdw POP errors when trying to scan to email

NMLombardi
Apprentice

I use a Gmail account for the scan-to-email feature. No problems for months.  This morning I was forced to change my Google password and the printer immediately started throwing POP errors when trying to scan to email.

No problem, logged into the UI and updated the password to the new one.  Still gets rejected.  Triple checked that the new password was correct across all platforms.  Still gets rejected.  Restarted the machine mulitple times.  Still rejected.

Changed to a different Gmail account.  Restarted.  Still rejected.

Went into the Google settings and saw that there was a security error, and that Google was no longer allowing the app to use it because it didn't meet their security standards.  Went into the settings and changed it to "allow less secure app access."  Restarted everything.

Still rejected.

What can I do to fix this?  Literally the only thing that changed was my password and 45 minutes in and multiple hoops jumped through, I still cannot get it to work.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm a Google user for 15 yrs.  Google doesn't force people to change their passwords.  

GMAIL passwords must be a minumum of 8 characters.  Alpha numeric and all special characters are allowed.

You cannot use a password that starts or ends with a blank space.

POP Settings, however, I recommend IMAP

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

If you use Gmail with your work or school account, check with your administrator for the correct SMTP configuration.

Server timeouts Greater than 1 minute (5 is recommended)
Full Name or Display Name Your name
Account Name, User Name, or Email address Your email address
Password Your Gmail password

IMAP:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for SSL: 465

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Full Name or Display Name Your name
Account Name, User name, or Email address Your full email address
Password Your Gmail password

Other considerations:

Older accounts might still include the "Allow less secure apps" option, but be aware Google has been phasing this out due to security concerns.  If you still have this option in your account, also know that Google turns the feature off automatically if it is not used for a few weeks or more. For now you can turn it back in manually, but the day is coming where it will not be supported.  This is for security and will fully support Modern Authentication.  

I recommend you consider using IMAP protocol, 2 factor authentication and an App Password for SMTP relay on the device.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, I'm just now getting a new computer set up and hoped that a fresh start would help fix the problem. 

Unfortunately this solution isn't helpful -- there's nowhere in the email settings within the UI to even put port information, and I already had the correct POP / IMAP information.

To add to this, I just went in and deleted ALL the information I could regarding the gmail account -- ports, the whole nine yards.  Double-checked the security settings in Gmail, got an app password, entered all that in, did it as IMAP vis POP.

Still getting the same error I've been getting for the past 2 months.  Printer absolutely refuses to send anything by email.  This is just ridiculous.

Announcements