cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733cdw not printing unless restarted

hank96792
Apprentice

I just bought a Canon MF733cdw printer. I installed all of the drivers and software. Scanning works. 

The only way I can print is to unplug/replug the USB-C dongle into my computer, restart the computer, or restart the printer.  I can't find the solution online.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the solution after speaking to tech support. My USB cable wasn't functioning properly, so my computer was trying to communicate through airprint.  It's funny because that USB cable was a newer one. When I was initially troubleshooting, I actually swapped out the USB cable. Going back to the original one solved the problem Go figure.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Patrice
Whiz

Hi hank96792.

The printer is only supported with a direct USB connection between the printer and the computer, as using any type of dongle or hub may cause communication issues. The printer does support a wireless network connection. If your computer does not have a USB port that supports a direct connection between the printer and the computer, then you may want to consider setting up the printer wirelessly.

Please follow the steps at this link to perform the wireless setup:

Wireless Setup for the imageCLASS MF735Cdw, MF733Cdw, MF731Cdw, MF634Cdw, MF632Cdw, and LBP654Cdw - ...

If you run into any issues, or require any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So it won't connect to my computer even with a USB-A to C adapter? I just got one from my tech coordinator, unplugged the USB cable from the hub and put it into the adapter and plugged it straight into the computer. Still doesn't work.  Would purchasing a USB B to C cable (to support the "straight into the computer without a dongle" idea) work better? Is there another solution I could try?

I have already reinstalled the driver and updated the printer's firmware. 

I found the solution after speaking to tech support. My USB cable wasn't functioning properly, so my computer was trying to communicate through airprint.  It's funny because that USB cable was a newer one. When I was initially troubleshooting, I actually swapped out the USB cable. Going back to the original one solved the problem Go figure.

Thank you!

Announcements