cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733Cdw Designate Paper Source

KGWaugh
Contributor

I recently made a huge (for me) leap up to this printer. I want color, but was not happy with the Epson tank Ink Jet I had used for a year. But so far I am not in the least impressed.  Find the manual, etc., difficult to navigate, wish Tech Service was available more than just weekdays, etc etc.

But...here is a VERY BASIC question: How do I tell the printer to use the secondary paper source?  I have found where to designate the paper size for both input sources, but have not figured out how to tell the printer to use the single sheet tray.  I am trying to print some CD labels and they do not feed well at all from the primary tray.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrice
Whiz

Hi KGWaugh.

To select a specific paper tray for printing, please click the Paper Source tab in the printer driver. Please view the image below:

Note: This is for the Windows operating system.

If you are using a Mac computer, please select Paper Source on the print dialog box:

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Patrice
Whiz

Hi KGWaugh.

To select a specific paper tray for printing, please click the Paper Source tab in the printer driver. Please view the image below:

Note: This is for the Windows operating system.

If you are using a Mac computer, please select Paper Source on the print dialog box:

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for this very detailed response.

Hi There,

I wanted to follow up on this. Im under the impression the printer should automatically pull paper from the multi-purpose tray IF its loaded..regardless if there is paper in the drawer or not. As HP printers do. I feel like opening the printer settings in Windows, every time I need to print from the multi-purpose tray is a bit excessive.

Is there a setting to have the printer do that? I have set all my settings to "On" under "Paper Source Auto Selection" as shown below, but no matter if there is paper loaded in the multi-purpose tray or not, it will always pull paper from the drawer unless I remove all the paper from the drawer..which I also feel is bit excessive.

I would love to know your thoughts. Thanks.

Select <Menu> in the Home screen. Home Screen
Select <Function Settings>  <Common>  <Paper Feed Settings>.
Select <Paper Source Auto Selection>.
Select the target function.
When the target function is report/list printing or memory media print, select <Other>.
For each paper source to which you want to apply the automatic paper source selection feature, select <On>.

Hi mrsparkle.

If the paper in the multi-purpose tray is the same size as the paper in the cassette tray, then the paper will feed from the cassette tray until it is empty, and then it will feed from the multi-purpose tray. If you are using different paper sizes, then as long as the paper size and settings have been updated on the machine, and the correct paper size is selected in the printer settings, then the paper should feed from the correct tray.

If you have any other questions, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Thank you for that answer. I am aware that is how the printer is programmed to work by default, I guess I was hoping the settings could be adjusted to allow the printer to automatically pull paper from the multi-purpose tray IF its loaded with paper..regardless if there is paper in the drawer or not. From the answers I see here, sounds like that is not possible, which Im a bit surpirsed by. Thank you for your help.

That's a bummer for me too, because that is precisely how I would like to have it work.

My Connon printer is mf642cdw. Even I selected "tray 1" from the Windows printer properties, the printer still tried to use the multi-purpose tray. I had to select "tray 1" from the printer everytime after releasing a print job.

Your solution is dreadful.  It's not the way a small office works.  We need the multipurpose tray to be the default, just as it could be programmed for our Canon 4890dW and our other HP LaserJets.  Having to register paper types and/or select the paper source each time we print something is a total waste of our productivity.

MTBioGuy
Contributor
Thanks for solving this problem when printing from a computer. Now please tell us how to do the same thing from an Android device? Paper always pulls only from the main paper tray… ignoring the paper waiting in the single sheet slot.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements