cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733Cdw Designate Paper Source

KGWaugh
Contributor

I recently made a huge (for me) leap up to this printer. I want color, but was not happy with the Epson tank Ink Jet I had used for a year. But so far I am not in the least impressed.  Find the manual, etc., difficult to navigate, wish Tech Service was available more than just weekdays, etc etc.

But...here is a VERY BASIC question: How do I tell the printer to use the secondary paper source?  I have found where to designate the paper size for both input sources, but have not figured out how to tell the printer to use the single sheet tray.  I am trying to print some CD labels and they do not feed well at all from the primary tray.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrice
Whiz

Hi KGWaugh.

To select a specific paper tray for printing, please click the Paper Source tab in the printer driver. Please view the image below:

Note: This is for the Windows operating system.

If you are using a Mac computer, please select Paper Source on the print dialog box:

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Hi MTBioGuy.

If you are loading the same size paper into both trays, then, by default, the printer will pull from the main cassette tray. Using the Canon Print Business App, then you can select the source in the settings. Please open the document that you would like to print, and then tap this are on the Preview screen:

Next, select [Source] to choose the multi-purpose tray/ manual feed slot. If you would like to view more about the available settings, please click the link below:

Items that Can Be Set for Printing

If you require any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

and then tap this are on the Preview screen:

What does this mean?????

@Patrice wrote:

Hi MTBioGuy.

If you are loading the same size paper into both trays, then, by default, the printer will pull from the main cassette tray. Using the Canon Print Business App, then you can select the source in the settings.

@Patrice wrote:

Hi MTBioGuy.

If you are loading the same size paper into both trays, then, by default, the printer will pull from the main cassette tray. Using the Canon Print Business App, then you can select the source in the settings. Please open the document that you would like to print, and then tap this are on the Preview screen:

Next, select [Source] to choose the multi-purpose tray/ manual feed slot. If you would like to view more about the available settings, please click the link below:

If you require any further assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

and then tap this are on the Preview screen:

What does this mean???

I have MF743Cdw and had this problem too.  Solved from another thread.  I didn't have a CD reader on my laptop so I downloaded the drivers from the web.  DO NOT DO THIS!  I deleted the drivers and then put the CD drivers on a jump drive and loaded them that way.  Now it is pulling from the Paper 1 tray.  Everything is on auto.  SOLVED!!  I hope it works for you.

tessa1
Apprentice

I am having an issue where i have the right size paper in the main tray (8.5x11) and it tells me that i need to check the paper size and type settings for the drawer are correct before performing the job. 

Anyone else? This is a brand new printer and was not cheap (as you all know).

I just started a home business and need this to print shipping labels and other items.

Any advice would be great thanks. 

Hi Tessa1.

So that we can best assist you, please tap Copy on the home screen and reply with the paper size that is listed on the Copy screen.

We look forward to your reply. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

MTBioGuy
Contributor
Rather than having to unload the main tray each time can you simply pull the tray out a bit to trigger the switch to the multi-purpose slot?

MTBioGuy I thought that to work as well..but the printer detects that the main drawer is open and will not allow you to print until you close the drawer. So you either have to open the drawer, pull out the paper, close it, then print. Or open the printing prefrences on your computer each time you want to print from the multi-purpose tray. In my opnion those work arounds are a bit much.

@mrsparkle wrote:

MTBioGuy I thought that to work as well..but the printer detects that the main drawer is open and will not allow you to print until you close the drawer. So you either have to open the drawer, pull out the paper, close it, then print. Or open the printing prefrences on your computer each time you want to print from the multi-purpose tray. In my opinion those work arounds are a bit much.

I agree.  That is an *extreme* hassle from a productivity standpoint.

Can someone tell me *exactly* how, on my Mac, to set the printer to use the Multi-Purpose tray FIRST by default, if there is anything loaded into it, and then use the Main Drawer SECONDWITHOUT having to go into the Print Dialogue settings each and every time?

If I need to print a sheet of labels, most decent printers for many years now have you simply open the Multi-Purpose Tray, insert the label sheet, and the printer then auto-detects that you inserted labels and will print onto them, BY DEFAULT.  For some reason, the setting to make that behavior the default action on my Canon MF733CDW eludes me.

I tried following these instructions (posted above with images):

@mrsparkle wrote:

Select <Menu> in the Home screen. Home Screen
Select <Function Settings> 

<Common> 

<Paper Feed Settings>.
Select <Paper Source Auto Selection>.
Select the target function.
When the target function is report/list printing or memory media print, select <Other>.
For each paper source to which you want to apply the automatic paper source selection feature, select <On>.

I chose "Printer" as it is when printing that I want it to default to using the Multi-Purpose Tray.  I only have two options: "Multi-Purpose Tray," and "Drawer 1," both with an "Off/On" toggle button next to them (both set to On by default).  I leave "Multi-Purpose Tray" set to "On" as that is my chosen default location.  When I turn "Drawer 1" off (because I want that to be the *secondary* source used only if the Multi-Purpose Tray is not available), then the Apply button at the bottom of the screen gets disabled and I am unable to save the setting.

So this setting does not solve my issue.

Any other ideas?  Thanks.

JStephen
Apprentice

On my MAC I didn't find the solution stated BUT, did find a solution by doing the following: 

Step 1: Open up System Presferences on your MAC

Step 2: Open Printers & Scanners

Step 3: Select your printer

Step 4: Select Options & Supplies

Step 5: Select your paper source (in my case it was the "550 Sheet Drawer"

Now your printer will automatically select this paper draw for all your printing unless you load paper in your multi-purpose tray

@JStephen wrote:

On my MAC I didn't find the solution stated BUT, did find a solution by doing the following: 

Step 1: Open up System Presferences on your MAC

Step 2: Open Printers & Scanners

Step 3: Select your printer

Step 4: Select Options & Supplies

Step 5: Select your paper source (in my case it was the "550 Sheet Drawer"

Now your printer will automatically select this paper draw for all your printing unless you load paper in your multi-purpose tray

This didn't seem to work for me.  There are a few more steps involved (possibly due to a newer version of the Mac OS).  After Step 4: Select Options & Supplies, we have:

Step 5: Click on the "Options" tab at the top of the window.

Step 6: Click on the dropdown menu to the right of "Paper Source Options:"

For me, the default there was "None."  The only other option is "550 Sheet Drawer" (even though I only have the standard size ~300 sheet drawer).  But selecting either option did not make a difference.  If I had paper loaded into both the Multi-Purpose Tray and the Main Drawer, the printer still pulled from the Main Drawer by default.

Announcements