cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF720C wireless LAN connection unreliable

bobsjune
Apprentice

Our Canon MF720C multi-function printer is great, a much-improved machine over the HP and Epson units we also have installed.  We would love to standardized on Canon, but its wireless connectivity quality is very poor.

First, why in the world doesn't this printer allow concurrent wired and wireless connections?  The software effort of a dual-homed device is not much more than the effort needed to support the two modes independently (I know because I've done a lot of network s/w development for many shipping products).

Second, when the network is set up for Wireless LAN, it doesn't stay up very long.  We have to power-cycle the printer to restore the connection.  The printer gets a DHCP-supplied IP address (our DHCP server supplies a fixed, reserved address that does not change).  The unit works just fine as long as there is someone printing.  But after a variable length of idle time, the connection just drops -- can't see it attached to the access point any more, and only a power-cycle restores it.  Even switching from Wireless to Wired LAN mode and then switching back does not restore the connection.

This printer is connected to a wired LAN as well, which works flawlessly, so we can use the printer when the wireless connection dies.  It is inconventient because I have to be at the printer to switch the connection mode, since I can't log into as system manager if it isn't on the network.

Does anyone know if there is hope of a firmware fix for this incessant and inconvenient problem? Or should we return the unit and look to Canon's competitors?  Would any of the community recommend a different model?

Thanks.

--Bob S., senior systems engineer, June Life Inc.

0 REPLIES 0
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements