cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF6530: Persistent paper jam. Took video in the tray. No error code.

mf6530test
Apprentice
Problem

The display says "Paper Jam / Open Left Cover" without any code. I don't think the jam is real.

Why I don't think there is a real jam

I put a camera inside the paper tray and upload the video to youtube:

https://youtu.be/aZh3njZkLwo

In the video, I see the following things.

1. At 0:03, the cassette pickup roller (CPR) would push the top paper forward
  2. At 0:04, the CPR would push that top paper once more. After that, the top paper completely goes in.
  3. At 0:06, the CPR would push the 2nd paper.
  4. Then the printer says it gets a paper jam.

The top of the 2nd piece of paper is right at the end of the registration roller. The paper doesn't go a bit beyond the registration roller. After I open the left cover, I can't just pull that single piece of paper out. I have to manually roll the roller to get the 2nd paper out.

Retry Pickup?

On page 111, the service manual talks about a "Retry Pickup":

• If the registration sensor(SR11) does not detect paper within a specific period of time after the cassette pickup roller has started to rotate, the machine will start to rotate the cassette pickup roller once again to execute a retry pickup operation
  • If the registration sensor (SR11) still does not detect paper within a specific period of time after executing a retry pickup 3 times, the machine will identify the condition as a jam and will indicate a jam message on the LCD of its control panel

At first, I thought maybe SR11 was faulty and couldn't detect the paper. That would make the machine do that "retry pickup".

But I am not sure because I can't even see an error code for the jam.

My attempt to get the error code for the jam

Does a jam always have an error code? If that is the case, how to see that code?

I have tried:

1. Go into maintenance mode ([additional function], [2], [8], [additional function])
  2. Clear history of error
  3. Copy something and let the paper jam.
  4. Print the history of errors

But that history is blank.

Sensor Tests

I also did several sensor tests using the normal sensor mode (not the latch mode).

Testing the Sensor for Papers in Tray

Test of the cassette paper sensor (SR9):

• When I remove all papers in the paper tray, the display says "CAS 0".
  • After I put papers back into the tray, the display says "CAS 1".

When the tray has papers, CAS = 1. When the tray has no paper, CAS = 0.

What I see: 0/tray has no paper, 1/tray has paper.

But page 224 (F14-14) of the manual says the exact opposite: "CAS: Cassette paper sensor (SR9): 0/Document presence, 1/Document absent".

Testing the Registration Sensor
  • When I did a sensor test after the paper jam, I saw "REG 1".
  • After I removed the paper, I saw "REG 0".

What I see: 0/no paper, 1/has paper.

The manual says the exact opposite: "REG: Registration sensor (SR11): 0/Document presence, 1/Document absent”

Testing the Delivery Sensor
  • I ask the printer to make a copy. Before the printer completes the print, I open the left cover.
  • Before I remove the half-printed document, the sensor test says “DEL 1 0”.
  • After I remove the half-printed document, the sensor test says: “DEL 0 0”

What I see: 0 0/no paper, 1 0/has paper.

The manual says the same thing: "Delivery sensor (SR5): 1/Document presence, 0/Document absence.”

1 REPLY 1

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

From what you are describing, it looks like the printer needs service. You can check your available service options using the link HERE to access your MyCanon account. You could also call support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist in checking what is causing the issue and can provide any available service options.

Announcements