Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

MF644cdw printer

iMac OS Sierra connected to MF644cdw multi-function laser printer via USB cable.  The only way I can get the printer to work is to shut down and restart the computer.  Otherwise the dialogue box says "waiting for printer to become available" forever.  I have re-installed the drivers and reset the printing system, but there's still some kind of miscommunication going on.  I shouldn't have to re-start the computer before every print job.

Product Expert

Re: MF644cdw printer

Hi Leola.

Please verify that there are no devices connected between the printer and the computer, such as a USB hub or docking station. If the printer is directly connected to your computer, then it is recommended that you try another USB cable.

If the issue persists, after changing the cable, then please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

Thank you Patrice.  Changing the USB cable is my next step, but I won't be able to deal with it for a couple of weeks.  Fortunately, I can do everything I need to do with a thumb drive for the moment.

New Contributor

The new cable works as long as I leave the printer in sleep mode.  If I turn it off, I still have to restart the computer to re-establish communication.  But, at least it's reliable now.