cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw only sporadically found by Apple devices

WillIam02
Contributor

I purchasedthe MF644Cdw and had no success printing from my Mac with the software installed. My iPhone and my wife's new Mac easily printed to the Canon with no software, so as a quick fix I deleted the software from my Mac and the printer worked for a month. During the month, my wife's new Mac stopped printing to it, then my Mac stopped printing to it, and my iPhone quit printing to it, although it (says the printer is off line). 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings,

This is a common misconception.  The printer is connected to 2.4Ghz, your computer is connected to the router's 5Ghz broadcast.  The routers job is to connect all of the devices on the network, regardless of how they connect, Wired or wirelss and regardless of the band. 

Off topic: Most wireless devices (including your C7800) also has a guest network capability.  There is a specific option called Guest Network Isolation that allows devices to connect, but does not allow then to "see", access or connect to other devices on the (mani) network.  This is typical in a business environment where you want to provide internet access to visitors, but you don't want them on the company's network, or to have access to servers, etc.

GN.png

For you reference:

NETGEAR AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7800 User Manual

I'm using an R8000P in one of my properties (BTW)

See pages 64 and 65 for the steps to Reserve a IP Address.

It will look similar to this:

For Bob.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A few questions:

Is your printer is connected to a wireless network?

Does it show that it's connected on it's Control Panel?

What does the wireless Router report?  Does the printer appear in its list of attached devices?

Open a web browser and enter it's IP.  Does the printer's webserver display?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It is very obviously not connected to my home network, Rick.
Does not show up in my network devices router login screen, I can't seem to find a control panel app, but the Mobile Portal on the device does not indicate any connection, just displays IP address and printer name, and I can't find a way to connect it. The IP address will not display, either.
Very sorry to be a total novice here, but any input I would greatly appreciate.

Update: I was able to log it into my 2.4 Ghz network, I had thought that I could log it into my 5 Ghz network, but that was not available. Printed successfully from my iPhone, but not from my Mac 😞

@WillIam02 wrote:
It is very obviously not connected to my home network, Rick.

Greetings,

Your thread's title states sporadically found, so I'm sorry but its not obvious that's its not connected..

I suspected this however, but since the device has 3 connection options, I didn't want to assume.  I understand you are frustrated.  

So here is what you have:

The printer only has a 2.4Ghz radio, so it cannot connect to a 5Ghz broadcast.  If your router is dual or tri-band and is using the same SSID name for all broadcasts, this can confuse the wireless radio in the printer.  I have a tri-band router and use 3 different SSID names to control which network devices connect to. 

If you are compelled to use the same SSID name for all networks, then temporarily disable the 5Ghz broadcast while connecting your printer to wireless.  Go a step further and reserve or assign a static IP to the printer.  You can do this once the printer is connected, and only has to be done once.  Now restart the printer and ensure its using the IP you specified.  Verify this in the list of attached devices on your router.

Now you have a connected device, using a static IP.  One that will never change and one you can always use with certainty to communicate with.  Remove the printer from Apple Menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners using the (-) minus button.

Restart your MAC.  Return to the Printer's and Scanners applet.  Use the Add Printer and specify IP    

IP.png

Specify the reserved IP you assigned to the router.  Below, in the name field change the name from the IP to "MF644Cdw" or any friendly name you choose.

Now finish adding the printer.  Note, the printer's IP will be persistent, the MAC or any other device connected to your network, wired or wireless will always be able to find the printer at the assigned IP (destination) you specified. Man Wink

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I apologize, as I intended the "obviously" comment to be humorous (darn written words failed me again!).

I do use different SSID names for the networks, let me see if I can figure out how to assign a static IP to the printer. Although I can see the printer in my router's attached devices, my computer can't find it to print. Any clues on establishing a static IP and/or the locating the printer on the network would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm not frustrated. I was last month, but now I'm kind of just chill with it. Not happy, but just kind of fatalistic ;-D

Greetings,

No worries at all.  I completely understand.  You buy something and expect it to work.  Whats the brand/model of the router, maybe there is documentation or a walk-through.   Maybe I can help find something for you. 

Since the printer is connected...  What's the IP address?  What happens if you put that in a browser?  The printer's web server should open. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

It's a Netgear C7800. I may have sidestepped the operating Canon software, because I am able to print from just about every device now. Still have a couple to test out, but my 2014 Mac is able to print now. I am on the 2.4Ghz network with the printer, but the Mac will print to it even connected to the 5 Ghz network, just with a few minutes delay, even though my recent items folder claims the printer is off line. Strange behavior to me, but I'll take it.

Greetings,

This is a common misconception.  The printer is connected to 2.4Ghz, your computer is connected to the router's 5Ghz broadcast.  The routers job is to connect all of the devices on the network, regardless of how they connect, Wired or wirelss and regardless of the band. 

Off topic: Most wireless devices (including your C7800) also has a guest network capability.  There is a specific option called Guest Network Isolation that allows devices to connect, but does not allow then to "see", access or connect to other devices on the (mani) network.  This is typical in a business environment where you want to provide internet access to visitors, but you don't want them on the company's network, or to have access to servers, etc.

GN.png

For you reference:

NETGEAR AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7800 User Manual

I'm using an R8000P in one of my properties (BTW)

See pages 64 and 65 for the steps to Reserve a IP Address.

It will look similar to this:

For Bob.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, thanks so much for your knowledgeable help. I really appreciate the time you gave to me freely. I hope that you have a great week!
Announcements