cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642cdw reports "printer not responding"

Sally6
Apprentice

I've installed the correct drivers and checked the network config several times - all is correct. The printer just seems to randomly disconnect from the the wirelessLAN. I can't seem to print or scan from my computer (mac os 10.12) - or at least it will only work every now and then! Any help appreciated! The wait time to speak to someone on the phone is loooong.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Darius
Whiz

Hi Sally6.

Try removing the printer, then adding it back with Canon-produced drivers, as the pre-installed Airprint drivers may not be able to find the printer after it enters power-saver mode, or after the router reassigns IP addresses (standard DHCP protocol on most networks).

If the problem persists, and the printer is getting fully kicked off of the network (no IP address, no wifi signal), then the problem is at the router itself.  Make sure the router is set up to not kick the printer for inactivity.  Refer to the router's documentation and support for information about its settings.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Darius
Whiz

Hi Sally6.

Try removing the printer, then adding it back with Canon-produced drivers, as the pre-installed Airprint drivers may not be able to find the printer after it enters power-saver mode, or after the router reassigns IP addresses (standard DHCP protocol on most networks).

If the problem persists, and the printer is getting fully kicked off of the network (no IP address, no wifi signal), then the problem is at the router itself.  Make sure the router is set up to not kick the printer for inactivity.  Refer to the router's documentation and support for information about its settings.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Problem solved! I sopke to the awesome Alexander at Cannon tech support and although it took some time, he walked me through step by steop diagniosing, and then ficxing the problem. I needed to reset my router and reinstall the drivers to ensure the correct connections between my computer, printer and wireless lan. Thanks Alexander! I was literally tearing my hair out, losing work time and even sleep over this! Cannon came through in the end! Thanks 🙂 Happy customer.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements