cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642cdw error 801 when scanning to email or shared PC file

snagar
Apprentice

Went over all configs multiple times still geting error 801

Trying to send email to via gmail account (got app password set, set SMTP to smtp.google.com) anything else anyone can think of?

Also tried useing shared file on windows 10, set no password for sharing and set the network discovery options, still getting error 801.

I can reach the printer as I am using the remote UI with no issues, so I doubt it is a network issue.

any ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

snagar
Apprentice

Finally figured it out, meed to change SMTP port on the printer to 587. it is done through the printer itslef, not through UI.

LucP
Apprentice

Hi, did you figure out the issue with the Scan to File? I have had my printer (MF644C) for a few months and was able to scan without issues to a shared network drive on a NAS or to an email address. For about 1 week now, the Scan to Email still works fine but the Scan to File does not work anymore. It keeps giving me Error 801.

I have been trying to make it work since then, creating a different shares, different users, etc but I still get Error 801.

Environment:

- NAS: QNAP TS-231P

- Printer: Canon MF644C

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello LucP,

The 801 error when scanning to a Network driver can be casued by several items. The error would point to a problem with the settings used with the network drive or a problem with communicating over the network. In this situation, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with checking the settings and testing network communication.

Hello Hector,

I called support and talk to a very nice technician called Ariel. We tried some changes for more than 30 minutes and still nothing would work. She then said that she would do some research and call me back later. When she called me back a few hours later, I was in a meeting and could not answer. She left me a voicemail telling that the problem seems to be on my network and to contact IT ... well, I bought that fancy Canon all-in-one printer for my home office, so I'm the IT guy 😉

In any case, I did some more testing. First, instead of trying to save on my NAS, I created a share folder on my computer and was able to scan to it from the scanner (as Favorite). Based on that, I really thought my NAS or network was the issue. But after many other trials and errors, here is what I found:

1) Previously (I have had that printer for about 5 months), everything worked well when I simply used the following as the destination to save the scan to my NAS: \\NAS\ScanLocation

2) For about 3 weeks, this stopped working all of a sudden. So I have been at a lost and trying to find a solution (thus my posting here)

3) I was able to make it work by setting the following values:

Host Name: 10.0.0.2 (the static IP of my NAS)

Folder Path: ScanLocation (the name of the folder in the share)

I tried to put NAS as Host Name (which gets resolved fine everywhere else on my Windows computers) but it throws an error. The only way I got it to work is with the above settings, using the IP Address. Now, I'm again able to scan to my NAS.

It is obvious that Canon changed something since this worked fine previously and my NAS setting did not change. I'll report it back on the ticket that was created when I called them in case that highlights some regression (I might have put a new firmware on the printer, it is hard to keep track of all those updates over time!)

Announcements