cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642C/643C/644C : problem upgrading firmware for my printer

tlex
Contributor

First of all, I can't tell what printer model I have because this is not clear... I mean, when I go in the printer menu, it is called :

MF642C/643C/644C so is it a 642 ? a 643 or a 644 ? I can't tell...

But the problem I have is that I try to get the latest firmware for it... 

I'm doing this from a mac.

I tried to get the firmware from that link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl... 

But it fails when the website ask me for my printer serial number.... (invalid sn)

Then I tried downloading the firmware for the 642 to test from this link :

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/canon-color-i... 

The download works but the tool (called mac-mf643-641-fw-v0603-64.dmg) wants to update my printer to :

main controller 6.03 / language 1.9 / dcon 2.01 were when I check in the printer remote ui it is actually at :

main controller : 07.02
boot rom: 02.01
dcon: 03.01
language: 01.20

So should I do ?

Here is a screenshot of the update tool that I was able to download for the 642:

updatetool.png

Here is a screenshot of the printer remote UI (I blurred the serial number not knowing if I should share it here or not - tell me):

remoteui.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Tlex,

It is possible to have a newer version of the firmware than what is on the site. You do not need to download the firmware from our site to update the printer. You can update the printer's firmware using the printer's operation panel using the steps HERE. You can also check if the firmware is up to date. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, tlex!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using.  One of the three model numbers you listed should appear on the front or top of your printer.  That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Its a MF642Cdw.

so that brings me back to the fact that when I was trying to get the recent firmware for it what I download from Canon site is actually older then what I have in the printer. (Maybe I already have the most recent firmware but I can't see that from the website)

Greetings,

Your FW version is later than what is being offered in the support portal.  You don't need to update anything.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

great ! but is strange isn't it that the firmware on the site is older ?

I would be great if Canon was writing somewhere what is the latest available firmware per device I think !

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Tlex,

It is possible to have a newer version of the firmware than what is on the site. You do not need to download the firmware from our site to update the printer. You can update the printer's firmware using the printer's operation panel using the steps HERE. You can also check if the firmware is up to date. 

Announcements