cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is sent

itguy
Contributor

I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office.  I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message.  I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.  

I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network.  Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option.  I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.

78 REPLIES 78

msgtjk
Contributor
Did that. Does it make that beeping sound when you press or are they silent hidden buttons?

I don't recall, but I want to say they were silent. It took me like 15 tries, but I think it was because he didn't tell me to hit Home before every try.  I accidently did that and it went in and he said yea, you have to hit home to start over again if it failed.

msgtjk
Contributor
I’ll try it. Thank you

interzone
Contributor

I've read through this thread but didn't see any solutions that included this... 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART135243&cat=6471B002&actp=LIST

Has anyone tried turning off Energy Star certification's shutdown timer??

In order to qualify for the "Energy Star" certification, the printer must power down after being in sleep mode for more than 8 hours.

If you do not wish to have to perform a restart after the printer has been in sleep mode for more than 8 hours, you can set the Shut Down Timer to "OFF" (the default setting is "8 hours").

To change the Shut Down Timer, follow these steps: 

1. On the Tab Selection screen of the Control Panel, press  or  to select Settings/Adj. tab ( ).

2. Press the OK button.The Set./Adj. Menu is displayed.
  3. Press  or  to select System Setup, and then press the OK button.
  4. Press  or  to select ShutDown Timer, and then press the OK button.
  5. Press  or  to select "OFF", and then press the OK button.

Thank You so much for posting a solution.  I believe my issue turned out to be caused by a Mac software Mojave update, after I updated to Catalina  the problem totally disappeared.  BUT thank You again for so considerate.

@interzone wrote:

I've read through this thread but didn't see any solutions that included this... 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART135243&cat=6471B002&actp=LIST

Has anyone tried turning off Energy Star certification's shutdown timer??

In order to qualify for the "Energy Star" certification, the printer must power down after being in sleep mode for more than 8 hours.

If you do not wish to have to perform a restart after the printer has been in sleep mode for more than 8 hours, you can set the Shut Down Timer to "OFF" (the default setting is "8 hours").

To change the Shut Down Timer, follow these steps: 

1. On the Tab Selection screen of the Control Panel, press  or  to select Settings/Adj. tab ( ).

2. Press the OK button.The Set./Adj. Menu is displayed.
  3. Press  or  to select System Setup, and then press the OK button.
  4. Press  or  to select ShutDown Timer, and then press the OK button.
  5. Press  or  to select "OFF", and then press the OK button.

I don't think that is an option on the MF634CDW printer.  I believe I mentioned before that I went it and have it auto wake every day at 5pm and thought that worked, but don't think it made a difference.  I have printed 2 more times over the past month after it has sat and was able to print.  Think going under the hidden menu and doing that fix is what helped if it is still posted.

chief1
Apprentice
Thanks man, you’re the best!

msgtjk
Contributor
I finally got into that menu. Totally thought it was a joke. We’ll see if it works. Thank you!

Been working fine for me.  I haven't printed in a couple of weeks and just printed twice today without issue.  Haven't had a problem since turning that on. I'm pretty sure that is the fix now.

Now the toner cost....wow!  I just run out of my initial starter batch that came with the printer and to replace all it's like $300. Canon, that is ridiculous!

msgtjk
Contributor
Where exactly is the energy star menu? I can find the steps you are talking about. The only settings on tabs I have are menu, paper settings & home screen settings
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements