cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634CDW Not Waking from Sleep when print job is sent

itguy
Contributor

I recently purchased a MF634CDW direct from Canon for my home office.  I set it up and seemed like all was OK, but my wife reported that the machine had an error message.  I power cycled and then it seemed fine, but I now realize that whenever the device goes into sleep mode, and you send a print job, it displays an error message and you have to power cycle to get it to function again.  

I am not using the wireless functionality and am using the wired network.  Other then turning off the sleep mode altogether and accepting that this device has flaws, I don't have another option.  I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but it did not fix the issue.

78 REPLIES 78

Although I followed the above suggestions (SLPMode:1) and solved the sleeping issue, it raised another new issue that the printer won't really go to sleep anymore even the sleep moon sign appears. After changing the setting, the machine always has noise. In other words, the above method simply disables sleeping mode, but not really solve the problem itself.  

This is an old thread and I have tried several solutions but here’s the only solution that has worked to consistently bring my MF733CDW out of sleep mode to print.  This is for an ethernet connection, I don’t use USB or wifi.

- On your router configure it with a limited range of DHCP addresses. Example: 192.168.0.2- 25.
- Give the printer a static IP outside this range. Example:  192.168.0.100
- Do not use an IP reservation for the printer.

I believe a reservation causes issues with lease-times, and/or cause issues with the printer losing the IP when it goes to sleep. A static outside the range also ensures that the router doesn’t try to send out a duplicate IP to another device, which can cause a conflict.

That is exactly how I have had my network setup and would never work till I went into to the settings on the printer and changed the mode.  Been fine ever since.

I stil get the lit moon as mentioned in another post.   Always doing some sort of test every few hours and is loud and drives me nuts.  Would love to disable that too.

msgtjk
Contributor
Got ya! Thank you! I’m just hoping the secret menu thing worked. For anyone who, like me, needed to see it being done, I included a link to a YouTube video. Check it out it does work.

https://youtu.be/lZuIcLjcOPE

msgtjk
Contributor
He did it for a hard reset but I put the video to show him getting into the secret menu

msgtjk
Contributor
On another note, anyone know the diff between the 045 and 045H toner? Is the H a bigger capacity ie more pages?

TommyD7
Apprentice

See if this helps click on Canon Office Printer Utility. Select Remote UI and Login as System Manager Mode or General User Mode. On right side of page select settings/registration. Select Paper settings. Make sure Multi Purpose Tray is set to ON and Drawer 1 is set to your Paper Size Letter or A4. Then go to Common Settings make sure in Paper Source Auto Selection Copy, Printer, Receive and other Multi Purpose Tray is Off and Drawer 1 is ON. Then in Switch Paper Feed Method Multi Purpose Tray is set to Print Side Priority and Drawer 1 is set to Speed Priority. Save these settings. Then go to Copy Settings and make sure Paper Source is set to Drawer 1. Save this setting. Then go to Printer Settings and make sure in Prioritize Driver Settings When Printing Multi Purpose Tray is Off and Drawer 1 is On.  Set Action When Paper Size Mismatch is set to Force Output. Save This setting. Then go to RX Settings . Click on Common Settings make sure Continue Printing When Amount in Cartridge Is Low is set to ON. Save this setting.

Hopefully this might just solve your problem. Worth a try. I keep my MF643Cdw on 24 hours a day in sleep mode and when I send a Print job while it is sleeping it works just fine. I do not have to interact with the machine except to pick up my Printed Paper. Make sure there is no mismatch of paper sizes anywhere in these settings.

Also, a super-easy solution is to open the Canon Business app on your phone, iPad, whatever, and tell it to scan something.  As it starts to scan, immediately cancel.  The printer is now awake and ready to print, and it takes just a few seconds.

Hope this helps someone!

jdgva1988
Contributor

I reported that I also had this problem but it is resolved now. My printer now wakes from sleep automatically when a document is sent to it for printing. I don't know whether this was due to a Mac iOS update or a canon driver update.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements