cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF443dw - computer scan

claym
Contributor

Hello,

I have a Cannon MF443dw that I connected to my network through Wi-Fi; I have used all kind of devices: MacBook's, Windows laptops, iPhones, Android phones.

The print works every time no matter what device I use and I can also scan from my devices - on the Mac I have used both the Canon MF Scan Utility and macOS Image Capture, on Windows I have used Canon MF Scan Utility and on my mobile devices I have used Canon Print Business app. But most of the time when I try to scan from the MF menu (Scan to -> Computer -> MacBook/PC) I get an error message ("there was an error") and sometimes the printer doesn't display the Mac/PC at all; some of the times it works without a problem but most of the times it doesn't - I can't pinpoint the problem, because nothing I have tried (reconnecting to the wifi, turned off wifi altogether and turning it on afterwards, software restarting the MF, turning it off and back on, restarting the router) offered a fix, not even a temporary one. There is a connection between the 2, because I see the laptop in MF menu (or I can always print, even though I can't see the Mac on the MF) and I also can scan from my devices.

The problem is only when I try to use the computer scan function on my MF device.

I have talked to Apple - my devices are up to date, they communicate with the MF443; I have an older Brother MF device that works just fine on the same network.

I would very much appreciate a way to fix this issue.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I came back with the solution that might help any other doofus like me.

The Canon MF Scan Utility app has an option "Network scanner settings" (cmd + ,); in order for MF to see the Mac and to be able to scan, using the control panel, the check box next to the scanner must be selected - mine was... not.

It is possible the error comes up when one configures the MF through Bonjour; if that happens, one should add the scanner, using the IP address.

Thank you and everybody that helped me find this answer!

Cheers!Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.21.15.pngScreenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.31.55.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

claym
Contributor

No idea?

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Claym,

If you are unable to scan from the operation panel and the problem is sporadic, it will usually point to a drop in network communication. If you can scan from the MF scan utility and the operation panel does not see the name of your computer, you can try unplugging the wireless router that is connecting all the devices for 5 seconds. Once the network is back up, you can try scanning from the operation panel again to see if the computer name appears. If it does not appear, it looks like the name of the computer is not getting to the operation panel of the printer.

We would be happy to assist further with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate response, feel free to contact support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist.

1. When you try to scan from the operation panel, what error code appears with the scanner error?
  2. Are you connecting the scanner with an ethernet cable or is it connected via wi-fi?

1. There is no number on the error, just the message "An error occured";

2. All my devices (except older printers) are connected via Wi-Fi.

Hello.

Welcome to The Canon Community, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market. The i-SENSYS MF443dw isn't sold or supported by our team here at Canon USA.

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

You're welcome to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thank you, I have contacted tech support available in a EU country.

I will keep you posted, even though, as you have said, my product is not designed to be used in US.

In the meantime, if anyone has an idea, I'm open to try it.

I came back with the solution that might help any other doofus like me.

The Canon MF Scan Utility app has an option "Network scanner settings" (cmd + ,); in order for MF to see the Mac and to be able to scan, using the control panel, the check box next to the scanner must be selected - mine was... not.

It is possible the error comes up when one configures the MF through Bonjour; if that happens, one should add the scanner, using the IP address.

Thank you and everybody that helped me find this answer!

Cheers!Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.21.15.pngScreenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.31.55.png

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements