cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Thanks Piers_A. I joined this site just to say Thanks!
No extra downloading, installing, or re-starting the computer. IT WORKED GREAT!

Nothing works... 

Tried Pier's suggestion too and tried installing / re-installing multiple times.

Says "MF Toolbox that is supported by the scanner you are using may not be installed on your computer.  

Install the appropriate MF Toolbox, and then perform the operation again." 

What do I do? 

This is when I try and scan from the scanner --> Computer...

Computer---scanner works (when in remote mode) but it's really inconvenient.

This simple fix I found online worked for me too:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

Glad I saw that post (from Piers_A) after encountering the same issue after buying a computer with Windows 10.  I was about to follow a post instructing to delete the MFTool software and the drivers and reinstall from a link in that message. If you have seen that post and have not already followed those instructions, try the above steps first; am happy that I did.

Thanks for posting, worked great!

@Piers_A wrote:

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

Just wanted to add some info to the machine.

First, as I recall, the major Windows 10 update that broke scanning for my MF4150 was named 1511.

While PiersA's info was instructive, nothing I tried worked long. I have a solution that seems to work quite well for me. I always faithfully reinstalled MF Toolbix, though it was never clear that I was actually using it. Turns out, it was breaking my scan function and I was NOT using it.

Focusing on the apparent fact that the hardware is functioning, I 1) disconnected the printer/scanner, 2) uninstalled the MF Toolbox and drivers, 3) restarted the computer and 4) reconnected the printer/scanner. Windows recognized the hardware and installed drivers. From the devices and printers manager in the Control Panel, right-click the printer and use the Start Scan command. Seems to work every time.

I also reinstalled and upgraded the Presto PageManager 7.15.xxx which came with my Canon hardware. It, too, works AS LONG AS I DON'T INSTALL MF ToolBox. Manufacturers often include worthless "added-value software" to differentiate their hardware. I find that the Presto PageManager (also provided by Canon) has much greater value and still works.

This worked. Hurray!!

Every time Windows does a major update, the MF Toolbox stops working. I've used this solution twice now and it works.

Thank you so much!  This fixed it.  I have a D530.  May God bless you!  [Mod Note: URL removed per Forum Guidelines]

Way back on page 3, message 23, Piers_A  's message fixed my problem scanning with a D530.  Thank you so much!

that work! thanks

Announcements