cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF 260 won't recognize scanner driver, says its not installed

pjtouhey63
Apprentice

Hello,

My scanner was working fine last week. Now when I select the scanner, a box comes up and says that the scanner driver is not installed. I tried re-installing from CD and download. It will not install. Can you help me or should I buy an HP or Epson printer.

Fustrated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to the canon support page and search for your printer.  Then go to drivers and downloads.  Next to the drivers tab is a tab for software. Again, I installed the driver and it said installed but I could not see it on my computer in the list under canon until I installed Mf scan utility which is found under the software tab. So the driver is found under drivers and the MF scan utility is found under software.  I had to install both to finally get it to work.  My printer kept telling me I was missing the scan utility but I thought it was talking about the driver.  It was actually talking about another piece of software.  Let me know how that goes

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

Which Computer Operating System are you using (Windows 7/8/10/11 or macOS 10/11/12)?
How do you connect to your printer (USB or WiFi)?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue
If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

pjtouhey63
Apprentice

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 on a Dell. I am connected via USB because I could never get the wifi to work.

the Scan utility was working last week. Now when I run the install for driver, all get installed but the scan utility.

Candace2
Contributor

I installed the driver about 7 times and could never scan because I kept getting the error message that the mf scan utility was not installed.  So after hours of frustration and reinstalling the driver I finally clicked on the software tab and that is where I found the utility.  So, in order to scan, you have to install both the driver and the software to run it separately.  I'm not sure if that is your problem but I hope it helps.

What software tab? Where is it?

Go to the canon support page and search for your printer.  Then go to drivers and downloads.  Next to the drivers tab is a tab for software. Again, I installed the driver and it said installed but I could not see it on my computer in the list under canon until I installed Mf scan utility which is found under the software tab. So the driver is found under drivers and the MF scan utility is found under software.  I had to install both to finally get it to work.  My printer kept telling me I was missing the scan utility but I thought it was talking about the driver.  It was actually talking about another piece of software.  Let me know how that goes

Thank you, this was the solution for me. I did what the previous replies asked and that did not fix the problem. Turns out, I was just installing the software files. I also needed to install the driver files.

Hello Pjtouhey,

You can download and install the latest version of the drivers and software for the MF260 series using the link HERE. That will take you to our drivers and downloads page and in the search box, you can type in the which specific MF260 series printer you have and it will take you to the drivers and downloads page. You can use the software and driver tabs to access the downloads that you need for the scanner. For more specifics, please reply to this message with the model number of your MF260 series printer and we can assist further.

Announcements