cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MB2720, two months old, photo scan quality is horrible!

centralware
Apprentice

I took a 4"x6" and placed it on the glass/platen, ran a scan at 600dpi and the colors are tremendously bled out (skin tones look dirty grey, it looks almost like an enlarged negative; very grainy and distorted.

1. The tests were done at the panel but verified via PC (Win10 with the latest drivers/software installed two hours ago.)

2. I printed a test page (search images.google.com for Philips PM5544 test chart, the first result should be wikipedia - this image was printed "to fit.")  The colors are a little dark, but reasonable and crisp, especially on 60lb text.

3. If the lamp of the scanner is a standard CFL/CCFL this thing is DIM.  It glows a faint pink-range light, but the winding around the bulb is what's lit and the left of the windings seems oddly spaced.  Compared to old school CCFL, this one illuminates around 30% of standard.

Thankfully I still have a couple weeks to where I can return the unit to the store, but if there's a simple solution or testing measure needed...  I still have a couple weeks.  The project I needed the scanner for I can do in the office tomorrow on our Canon/Fiery where even the ADF is more apt for 4x6 and 5x7 photos than this unit is (not at all??)

4 REPLIES 4

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Centralware,

In a situation like this, I would usually suggest contacting support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. This way, one of our agents can check the settings used while scanning and check the results. 

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. Were you scanning using the photo option or was it the document option?
  2. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  3. Are you able to scan properly from the IJ scan utility on the computer using the photo or auto option?
  4. Would you be able to add some sample images of an original vs what is scanned and post it so we can see what might be going on?

Test image: https://www.lapseoftheshutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/color-printer-test-page.jpg

Image above was printed with the Canon MB2720, output clarity is within reason (given it's on 20lb stock.)

The sheet was then placed on the glass using the enclosed settings (JPEG set to high/600dpi) see settings images 1 and 2.

Scan (from IJ, "TEST_001.JPG") has very noticeable degradation as if a filter was being used to distort it.

TEST_0001TEST_0001

A 4"x6" photo is placed on the glass, using the exact same settings. TEST_0002A was scanned on our Canon C600(IP) using 600dpi, TEST_0002B was on the Maxify. Both were cropped and reduced since the output size is set to Letter (just in case) and due to the upload maximum here.TEST_0002ATEST_0002ATEST_0002BTEST_0002BSettings 1Settings 1Settings 2Settings 2

Please bare in mind I'm an electrical engineer with 30+ years under my belt, more than 25 of which included computers (design, build, repair and programming.)  I was in the mix when AOL and CompuServe were infants and the "web" was something found outdoors and in dusty spaces. 🙂

Diagnostics: DOC and PHOTO were both tested; DOC was tested with a color graphic as well as a b/w (court motion sitting nearby) at 200, 300 and 600dpi on standard 20lb as well as ultra-brite 80lb and gloss text 60lb printed out via the C600.  The results were close to the same as PHOTO (gloss text seemed to have too much reflection, 80lb was the best, but still looked as though the fiber of the paper showed through.)  Sorry, I can't post copies of those for 'privacy' reasons.

Your thoughts and/or suggestions are always welcome!

Thank you.

centralware
Apprentice

Additional: Windows 10, most recent driver package, connection tested via wireless, wired and USB.

Hello Centralware,

The sample images of the scans do not look like there is a hardware issue with the MB2720. The top image does look like it is scanning some of the grain in the plain paper print. If you are scanning photos and would like to adjust the color/intensity of the scans, you can use the scangear option from the IJ scan utility. You can view the color options for the MB2720 using the link HERE.

For further assistance with the scanner driver options or to check for problems with the hardware, you can contact our support team over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with the MB2720 and can provide any available service options.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements