cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LBP663Cdw hesitates between every page (slow print)

Sanslui
Apprentice

Hi everyone, 

I just got my LBP663Cdw from my partner. I was really happy as on paper it seemed like a great printer.

I just installed it and printed my first testpages and the printer seems to be 'hesitating' between every page it prints. As soon as the first page finished printing, it needs 20 seconds until the 2nd page starts printing and again 20 seconds for the 3rd page and so on... 

I even timed it: It took the printer 3m 2s to print 10 pages (I started timing it as soon as the first page was being printed and stopped as soon as it was finished)

This is what I tried:

• Reset the printer
  • Downloaded the drivers from the canon website
  • Printing on Wifi
  • Printing on cable (wifi was disabled)
  • Printing the same page *5  (to see if would be any faster if it printed the same page. It is not faster)

My macbook has macOS Monterey (12.6) and I always print in colour on normal A4, 80grams paper. 
I hope it's a quick stupid fix, as I'm teacher and I depend on being able to print.

Thank you for reading this and taking your time to reply. 
Kind regards

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Welcome to the forums.

The behavior you describe does not sound normal.  The printer has a 13 sec warm up time from power on, and first page out in 7-8 sec once a job is received.  It's capable of printing up to 27 ppm (pages per minute) or more depending on the content.  Color jobs might take a bit longer.  

We occasionally see delays over wireless, or with a system that doesn't have the resources needed (processing power, disk I/O, memory) etc to spool and send a job quickly. A newer MacBook wouldn't fall into this category and if connected via USB should print a simple text page or two within 10 sec.

I do have the following questions:

What are you printing?  (Text, photos, PowerPoint slides???)

What application are you printing from?

Does the slow printing happen from all applications?

What happens if you open Notes and type a few words and print? 

Your troubleshooting steps were helpful.  If you are not able to determine the cause, I would contact support.

How Can We Help - Canon Europe (canon-europe.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,
Thank you for replying. 

I'm printing documents (.PDF format - the files are between 5-20 MB)
I'm usually printing from "preview". It's a simpel viewer app on my macbook.

I printed B/W from my browser (google chrome) Works perfectly! The difference in speed is WAUW! The printer really is fast and the times it takes to receive the job is indeed only 7-8 seconds and the printer prints one page after another without any hesitation... 
Then I printed a colour webpage from my browser, no problem
Notes in B/W no problem
I created a quick excel file with many colours and printed directly from the excel app. No problem. 

I'm a bit puzzled by this.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are the .pdf files you are printing stored on line, or locally?

If online, that's the bottleneck.

I'm not familiar with "preview" (is this a pdf specific app?) or are you merely referring to print preview.  Command+P"?

Are the .PDF files created in Acrobat, or another program?  It could be the size, or the file format as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sanslui
Apprentice

Hi Rick,

I continued searching and testing things out.
I noticed this only happens with the .PDF files created in Canva that I saved locally on my mac. Not the other .Pdf files. Now that I know this, I can do something about it. 

Thank you for thinking along with me! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You're welcome.  😃  Your answers to my questions provided enough information that allowed me to identify the problem.  

Enjoy the printer.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

So.... The issue got worse... 
Now every document takes a long ass time to print. I contacted Canon support. I hope they can help me out

Thank you anyway, Rick

Announcements