cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743CDW won’t wake on lan from mobile devices

bobdrzyzgula
Apprentice

I have an MF743CDW attached wirelessly to a mesh network in my house. It has a static IP address. It generally works fine. I can reliably print to it from Windows PCs, it will wake up just fine. If the printer is awake I can print to it from mobile devices, both IOS and Android. However, if the printer is asleep, the mobile devices, which don’t have a printer configured but rather search for a printer every time you print, cannot wake it up. I have the Canon Business Print app installed, and the app of course has the printer configured so the app knows the printer’s IP address. Using that app on the phone the printer will wake up just fine to be managed.

Thus, I *think* what is going on is that the broadcast when searching for a printer from the phone’s print dialog does not trigger the wake on lan function in the printer, so the printer does not respond to the search. A WOL packet sent directly to the printer’s IP address from a PC or from the Canon Business Print app on a mobile device will wake up the printer, as will touching the device panel. Once the printer is awake then the search in the print dialog will find the printer and printing will work correctly. 

Is there some way to configure either the phone or the printer so this doesn’t happen? In particular is there some way to fix this that doesn’t require the printer to never sleep? I never had this trouble with my previous Brother printer, which I used in exactly the same way. 

1 REPLY 1

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Bobdrzyzgula,

The app should be able to wake the printer up from an iOS or Android device. In this situation, I would suggest contacting our support team over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check the network settings on the printer and the network environment to see what might be causing the issue.

Announcements