cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues caused by non-Canon toner cartridges - Color imageCLASS MF743Cdw

pisces81
Apprentice

I am aware that non-Canon toner cartridges are not covered by warranty, and I'm also aware that there are a ton of people who have mentioned on this forum that the costs of this cartridges for particular model (Color imageCLASS MF743Cdw) are exceptionally high, thus leading to more people than usual trying out the 'counterfeit' cartridges. 

My question is, for anyone who has been using non-Canon cartridges, have you had a faulty cartridge cause lasting damage to your printer? I've been getting very good customer service from the company that sold me my non-Canon cartridges, they send replacements quickly, but only the first replacement worked properly; the last two in a row have not, and they said that Canon (and other name-brand manufacturers) often update the firmware on the machines to further block use of non-Canon cartridges.  

I'm used to seeing the "counterfeit cartridge" error and my printer was working fine through that, but about a week or two ago, the yellow cartridge leaked and turned my prints yellow. I got a replacement and it worked well for a day, then the printer started saying the Magenta cartridge wasn't installed - this is a different message than the "non-Canon cartridge" message. No more leaks, just not able to print because it says there's no magenta cartridge, even though there is. I've restarted, unplugged, used the function to clear to default settings - nothing has helped. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, have you had any luck with any tech support, other than just replacing the cartridge? 

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

We always recommend using Original Canon accessories to ensure your Canon gear works smoothly.

If you're having an issue with your printer and need support, please don't hesitate to contact support for assistance. Our team is available Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET) at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Stephen, Does Canon offer a cartridge refill service? It's pretty insane that the cart cost is almost as much as I paid for the printer... I would be happy to support Canon if we could get the cost down just a smidge; otherwise, maybe I need to go crawling back to OKI...  LOVE my D480 workhorse and MF743 otherwise!

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Pisces81,

You can try reseating the toner cartridges and check the inside for any loose toner powder that could be causing a toner cartridge detection issue. If the toner loading area is clear and the printer is not even giving you a counterfeit message, it would point to a problem with the toner cartridge. In that situation, replacing the toner cartridge would be your next step.

aarcuda
Apprentice

the cartridge is defective.  It needs to be replaced.  It isnt the install or dirty contacts so the only option is replacing it.

crappinduck
Apprentice

Hey! Have you had any luck finding a decent generic 055 Canon cartridges? I absolutely LOVE my Canon printers, however, the cartridge costs are out of control....literally almost as much as the printer. I have a MF743 that will not print decent color images with anything but canon original. I would be VERY willing to support Canon if they would only be just a LITTLE reasonable with their cart costs. $450/Set is not reasonable. 

Hi there!  I can't say that I've found a magical solution, but I did switch from one seller on Amazon to another, and have had at least a *little* better luck. The previous brand was "TRUE IMAGE" (good customer service but not great quality product) and the new, slightly better one is "Tounker" (still had some minor quality issues but haven't had to return any yet).  

normadel
Authority
Authority

The derogatory term "counterfeit" seems to be getting used for ANY non-Canon product. Counterfeit is something falsely packaged/labelled/sold as genuine Canon product. Anyone doing that is a crook.

Things sold on Amazon can range from junk to great.

But there are reputable, quality aftermarket brands out there.  I am using toners for my ImageClass MF8350 from LD Products. Sold direct by them, not through Amazon or anyone else. Their cost is around a quarter of Canon's. They perform beautifully.

Announcements