cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageclass D530 fails after Windows 10 1803 update (Spring Creators Update)

Diggs
Apprentice

The D530 has worked perfectly (Windows 10 version 1709) until the latest Windows Update/Upgrade going through now (1803 - Spring creators edition that has not yet hit most computers).  Windows can see the D530 (USB connected) but cannot print.  Downloaded driver for printing direct from Canon website for 64-bit Windows 10 also fails.

What are the options besides junking all the Canon printers and moving on?

7 REPLIES 7

James_C

Hi Diggs 

In order to properly assist you, please let us know if you installed the unit using the original install CD or did you download the latest drivers for the imageCLASS D530 from Canon's website at www.usa.canon.com?  If you installed using the CD its recommended you uninstall and then download and install the latest online drivers for the imageCLASS D530.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The original CD drivers were for a 32-bit system and would not run.

The downloaded 64-bit drivers did nothing.  The install program ran but nothing happened.  (Tried 3 times with 3 seperate downloads).  The same downloaded driver install program works fine on 1709 version Win10.

Hi Diggs 

Based on what was already recommended and what you describe, It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My customer was upset and junked his Imageclass printer and bought an HP.  He seems happy now which is my goal. I doubt he will ever buy a Canon again although I explained to him the problem here is Microsoft.

GlitchKicker
Apprentice

I found the same problem when I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11.   Canon has a long history of driver issues dating all the way back to XP... drivers not connecting to a network, drivers not recognizing a USB connection, the computer seeing the printer but finding no adequate drivers.   Other printer brands don't seem to have this problem so no, I'd say this is a Canon problem rather than a Windows problem.

hadrobinson
Apprentice

The steps below will allow the correct printer drivers to be loaded into a Windows 10 machine. Most printer manufacturers, including Canon, do not update their printer drivers for old or obsolete products with a digital signature so they may be used in Windows 10.  So, we must execute a workaround. It is a bit tedious but does the job. It also has serious risks if the drivers are infected with malware.

Do NOT execute this workaround for installing unsigned printer drivers (or anything else) in Windows unless the drivers are from an official manufacturer's website, CD, or DVD!  If you have a printer that needs to be installed in Windows 10, ONLY use the installation CD/DVD that came with the printer to be safe!  Note that Canon divisions in other parts of the world don't automatically end all support for older products made by Canon, like the USA division. It would be safe to download installation software from these other divisions of Canon e.g., drivers for their obsolete products e.g., a MX310 MFC.  You must be very careful so you won't infect your computer with some kind of malware using drivers obtained from unknown sources.

The steps below disable all of the built-in firmware and software that protects Windows from malware.  However, when the drivers are installed, these protections may be re-enabled.

To allow unsigned drivers to be loaded, secure boot in the BIOS setup utility must first be disabled (and prevented from becoming enabled during a future reboot). In addition, Windows 10 must be put in "test mode".

At the Windows 10 desktop:

1. search for "Advanced Startup Options", choose "Advanced startup", click "Restart Now". This will boot Windows into a special menu.

2. On the "Choose an option" page, click on "Troubleshoot", "Advanced options", "UEFI Firmware Settings", "Restart". This step causes the BIOS menu to show up when the system is rebooted. Note: if you know how to get to the BIOS setup utility quickly, this step can be skipped.

3. During the reboot, the BIOS Setup Utility Menu will pop up. Press F10 (or whatever key is required), choose "Boot Options" in the BIOS Setup Utility. Arrow down to "Secure boot", press enter, arrow up to "Disable", press F10 (or whatever key is required), save changes and exit.  The system will reboot and stop at a special boot screen.

4. The boot screen will give a code e.g., 1234. Enter the code and press enter.  Reboot.

5. Once back in Windows, open an admin command prompt and enter the following commands:

bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff  {This command disables DEP (Data Execution Prevention)}

bcdedit /set testsigning On {This will allow unsigned drivers to be loaded}

6. Reboot Windows. At the desktop screen there should be some small text in the lower right hand part of the screen that is like this example:

Test Mode
Windows 10 Enterprise
Build 19041,vb_release,191206-1406

This is your notice that the OS is no longer protected.

7. Run your printer installation software.

8. When done, re-enable secure boot. At an admin command prompt enter:

bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOn

bcdedit /set testsigning Off

Re-enter the BIOS Setup Utility using the steps 1-3 above and re-enable Secure Boot.  Reboot Windows.  You will know that DEP and secure boot are turned on by the disappearance of the "Test Mode" dialog box.

More info from this helpful site:
https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-...

GlitchKicker
Apprentice

Thank you for this information.  You went to a lot of trouble and it's appreciated.  Fortunately I was able to get the printer to run by installing old, outdated Canon software that really shouldn't have worked but did... and it didn't seem to care about any of the above.   The real problem was that Canon doesn't provide a full, proper SCAN Utility software pack (it says Scan Utility but that's not what we see at installation time).  Interestingly though, a free third-party graphics display/edit program called FastStone has a scanner routine built in that works just fine.  I find it interesting that an open-source bit of free software provides a working scanner-- yet Canon seems to have the attitude of "Oh, new Windows version?  Well you'll just have to buy a new laser printer from us!"  My disk drives didn't stop working.  My hard drive didn't stop working. My computer itself didn't stop working (well, not until 2025 anyway since Microsoft has outdated millions of motherboards so they can sell copies of Windows 11).  Frankly speaking, I question this practice of equipment failing just because a new Windows version is released.  Laser printers with built-in scanners aren't cheap (nor are quality motherboards).  We shouldn't be forced to replace pricey equipment just because Microsoft produces a new version of Windows.  If FastStone can build in a functional scanner routine... so could Canon.

Thanks for tolerating the rant. I have no doubt tens of thousands of other Canon users feel the same way.

Announcements