cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass D420 suddenly can't find scanner driver

my4
Apprentice

I've been using this printer for years with Windows 7.  Nothing has changed.  Same PC.  Same OS.  No recent updates because W7 is no longer supported.  Scanned something a few days ago.  Today I printed w/o issue but when I tried to scan I got error message You need a WIA driver to use this device.
Please install it from the installation CD or manufacturer's website and try again.

When I right click on my short cut to the printer the option to Scan isn't even listed anymore.  What happened and how do I fix it?  I don't want to get rid of the printer, its been great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You should not have any reluctance using drivers from Canon's website.  These drivers are specific to your product.

There is a patch file which specifically addresses an issue with scanning.  (W8, 8.1 and 10)  I suggest you look into that.

The printer is about 7 yrs old.  Trying to use a CD supplied with with your printer which was manufactured years ago is the problem.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

All drivers fro the D420 are avaialble here.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-laser-printers-im...

We can't speculate what changed or what might have happened.

So your best bet would be to uninstall / reinstall the device and its software.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm leery of the online drivers.  I tried them for a new machine w/ W10 and ended up in same situation I currently have: able to print but unable to scan.  In fact, I just got a "new" W7 desktop thinking I'd be able to scan with it vs. unable with W10.  I'll try it but I'm not optimistic.  Thanks.

You should not have any reluctance using drivers from Canon's website.  These drivers are specific to your product.

There is a patch file which specifically addresses an issue with scanning.  (W8, 8.1 and 10)  I suggest you look into that.

The printer is about 7 yrs old.  Trying to use a CD supplied with with your printer which was manufactured years ago is the problem.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements