cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageCLASS MF452dw will not print from multi-purpose tray

CarlJ
Apprentice

With paper (letter size) loaded on the multi-purpose tray, print jobs sent to the printer will feed from the paper drawer instead of the multi-purpose tray.  I have had this printer for 2 months and only needed to use the multi-purpose tray once previously to print a shipping label (8.5"x11"), and it worked as it should.  Now, when a print job is sent to the printer with labels (8.5"x11") in the multi-purpose tray, the labels will not feed from the multi-purpose tray, and instead, paper will feed from the paper drawer.  Any help to regain the use of the multi-purpose tray would be greatly appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlJ
Apprentice

I found this earlier post (below in quotes), which solved the problem.  Because both the multi-purpose tray and paper drawer had the same size paper loaded AND the paper source was set to Auto on my computer (in the Printer Properties dialog window), the printer was drawing paper from the paper drawer, even with paper loaded in the multi-purpose tray.  Changing the paper source to Multi-purpose Tray solved the issue, albeit an inconvenient process compared to other brands of MFPs which I have used in the past.  

"With the imageCLASS printers, you will need to set the paper settings on the printer to match the settings from the device you are using for printing. If you are using two different sizes of paper, then the correct tray should be detected automatically. However, if you are using the same size paper in both trays, you will need to set the paper source in the printer settings on the device." posted 2-22-2019

A suggestion for Canon!  When the paper source is set to Auto and paper is loaded in the multi-purpose tray, it would be far more convenient if the printer defaulted to drawing paper from the multi-purpose tray FIRST, regardless of the paper size.  Is there a way to program this so the printer will function this way?   

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CarlJ
Apprentice

I found this earlier post (below in quotes), which solved the problem.  Because both the multi-purpose tray and paper drawer had the same size paper loaded AND the paper source was set to Auto on my computer (in the Printer Properties dialog window), the printer was drawing paper from the paper drawer, even with paper loaded in the multi-purpose tray.  Changing the paper source to Multi-purpose Tray solved the issue, albeit an inconvenient process compared to other brands of MFPs which I have used in the past.  

"With the imageCLASS printers, you will need to set the paper settings on the printer to match the settings from the device you are using for printing. If you are using two different sizes of paper, then the correct tray should be detected automatically. However, if you are using the same size paper in both trays, you will need to set the paper source in the printer settings on the device." posted 2-22-2019

A suggestion for Canon!  When the paper source is set to Auto and paper is loaded in the multi-purpose tray, it would be far more convenient if the printer defaulted to drawing paper from the multi-purpose tray FIRST, regardless of the paper size.  Is there a way to program this so the printer will function this way?   

Announcements