cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Canon 4770 to scan multipages into a PDF file while using the document feeder

sjburns
Apprentice

Hi All

I'm new to this forum.  So if I break any rules with my questions below, kindly forgive me.

But my questions are about my Canon MF4770 printer.

1.  Why can't I used the document feeder to scan multiple pages into one PDF file?

2.  Why do I have to constantly select the remote scanner option when the printer is connected to my computer?

Any help I can get will be very appreciated.

Starlene

11 REPLIES 11

cushnoc
Apprentice

I did a general Google on this, and I got instructions on how to use Canon's MP Navigator EX software. I didn't have that, so I downloaded and installed it. Pretty simple to follow instructions, but I ran into a glich. After selecting "PDF Multipages", instructions say "Click Set" to open a dialog box and specify the PDF compression type, and other advanced settings, but that doesn't work. I can't go beyond this point. What can I do? Thank you.

I'm using Windows 7 Premium 64-bit on a Dell XPS laptop. Printer is an MG 6120 All-in-One on wireless.

Deborah
Enthusiast

Hi Starlene and welcome to the Canon forum,

The ability to scan multi-page documents can depend on your operating system and version, and if the scanning software being used supports the feature.  However, the MF Toolbox application that accompanies your laser product offers this option when scanning via a USB connection to your computer.

For example, if you are using Windows, below are the steps that would be performed:

1.  Place documents.

Note: Up to 35 documents can be loaded in the feeder.  Be sure to fan the stack, place it face up, and align the document guides to the width of document.

2. Press [SCAN].

3. Press [^] or [v] to highlight <Remote Scanner>, and then press [OK].
The machine is now waiting to be scanned.

4. Double-click the [Canon MF Toolbox 4.9] icon on the desktop.
The MF Toolbox starts.

5. Click [PDF].
Select [PDF (Multiple Pages)] in [Save as Type].

7. Specify the required settings as needed and click [PDF Settings].
The [PDF Settings] dialog box appears.

8. Specify the required settings as needed and click [OK]:

[Create Searchable PDF] Converts the characters in the document to text data and makes the PDF document searchable with keywords.

[Text Language] Select the language of the text to be scanned. The characters may be recognized more accurately if you select [English] from the drop-down list and set [Image Quality] to [300 dpi] or higher in [Scanner Settings].

[PDF Compression] Select [High] for color images such as photos or illustrations to reduce file sizes.

9. Click [Start].

Note:

A folder with the scanning date will be created in the [MY PICTURES] folder in the [MY DOCUMENTS] folder, and your document will be saved in this folder. If there is no [MY PICTURES] folder, the folder with the scanning date will be created in the [MY DOCUMENTS] folder and your document saved in this folder.

For text documents or black-and-white documents, it is recommended you select either [BLACK and WHITE] or [GRAYSCALE] in [SCAN MODE].

If making a Multiple PDF with color documents ([IMAGE QUALITY] set to [300 dpi]), it is recommended that the PDF have fewer than 20 pages.

The MF toolbox can be loaded from your software CD or downloaded here from the "Drivers & Software" tab on the Canon USA website.

I can understand some confusion on having to select "Remote Scanner" when you have a direct computer connection to your product.  The reason for this is that first, the "Remote Scanner" mode refers to seeing your computer as a stand alone, or remote, device; however, the "Computer" scanning mode option allows you to select which computer will be performing a scan when doing so over a network (Max: up to 10 computers).

Another reason for having to select the scan mode is that the selection is not programmed but selected based on the type of scan you will be performing at the time.

If this does not answer your questions or we can offer further assistance, please feel free to Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have a different setup with my MG6100Series ink jet printer. I do not have a multipage document feeder. As stated in my Post, after Selecting the file type to be scanned my instructions say to Click Set to open a dialog box and specify the PDF compression type and other advanced settings. This doesn't happen, so i cannot proceed to Scanning. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi cushnoc,

It sounds like the settings you are viewing are related to JPEG compression and not part of the PDF creation process.  

For a guide on scanning, check out the following article from our Knoweldge Base: Scan using MP Navigator EX - MG6120 (Windows)

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Wow!  That worked. 

Thank you sooooooo much Smiley Happy

Hello,

I am a repeat customer to Canon unfortunately. Nowhere in the discussions all over the internet can someone give me a logical answer to why we have to press the SCAN button and then select remote scanner and then do all the other steps on the computer. Isnt the point of having the MF toolbox installed on your machine just that?

I have this budget all in one in my office where its networked and several computers use it. For me to scan a document, I have to get up from my desk specifically to press the scan button. This is absurd. Its a very simple fix.

There seem to be two Canon product experts involved in this thread. Can someone give me an answer other than the one I've been hearing about what Canon is doing regarding the issues with constantly pressing the SCAN button?

Hi bstinson555.

The imageCLASS machines are designed so that you will need to select a scanning option at the machine.  Although it is an extra step, the benefit of selecting the desired scan mode before scanning is to ensure that your device handles the scan project properly and that a scanner miscommunication does not occur if it were programmed to a different mode.

If you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Can all of you "product experts" stop copying/pasting the same response in every thread and actually try to do something about it?

Announcements