cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message on my MX700 Printer: U052 This type of print head is incorrect.

jdegann
Apprentice

I got this after installing new ink - it worked just a bit and then when I turned printer off and on, got this msg.  I took out cartridges and head, put them back in, and no change.

59 REPLIES 59

Jae
Apprentice
I used this product for six month and it happen, I called cannon,their not help me because I dont have a rec

Jae
Apprentice
A receipt. I this product is a big garbage now, and I am not even use it much.

Forgrt Canon. They don't give a **bleep** about you once you have spent your money on their product. I have now bought an Epson printer which is afr better than any Canon product I have seen

Jae
Apprentice
I this product is a big garbage now, and I am not even use it much. Same problem!!!!

Fromjim describes taking things apart. This  often does not correct the issue. Take it apart,  when apart clean the head area .... CLEANING is the thing that must be done as there is ink build up. That's why I used 91% Ethyl alchohol. IT WORKS now many months later after 1st doing this. Note: the print is not perfect but very usable

Hi jasonventure:

I am having the same problem U052 error with my mx892 printer.  I want to try cleaning print head with rubbing alcohol.  Can you give me the exact instructions on how to do this?  Thank you so much in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.

Cindy

p.s.  This problem started a few days ago with the dreaded B200 error, which I also had last year and had to research for a week and almost junked out my 1.5 year old $400 printer, but I finally got it going again with an obscure fixSmiley Happy

Jason used ethanol (you can get "denatured" alcohol from a hardware store); I used isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). Both should work about the same. Set the print head, jets down, on several thicknesses of paper towel. With an eyedropper or with a Q-tip, appy drops of alcohol to the porous metal disks where the ink carts sit. It will pass out thrrough the jets and into the paper towels. Keep at it until no more color is seen. Jason let it air-dry for 24 hour, whereas I rinsed through some water and re-installed directly.

This will get the passages and jets clean, but the error messages are more likely to be electronic in nature. Try using a pencil eraser to polish up the golden metal contacts on the back side of the print head, and the metal nubbins that they contact in the printer. If that fails, the print head is probably dead and needs to be replaced. (The jets get very hot, and they can burn out if they run dry for even a few seconds.) I learned to keep a spare on hand after about the fourth replacement - they simply don't last forever. ($40 or so on eBay, which is where you can get good generic ink carts as well - G&G is a reliable brand.)

The print head is the weak link in the Canon design - burn out one jet, and you have to buy the whole array - but HP is worse: they make you buy a new print head with every ink cart. If you print a lot of color documents, Canon is much more economical, especially if you use G&G inks.

see my previous posts for those asking how to. Simply remove inks...get 91% alchohol for Walmart. I like it because it evaporates at a moderate rate...not too fast..  Soak the ink head in GLASS (not plastic) with it. The alcohol will not damage the head as other stronger petroleums can.   Use as little as possible each soaking because will need to repeat again and again. Likely use total about 1/2 a 16oz. bottle.... let dry a few hours after final. You can use Clean compressed air to speed things up to blow things out.. Quality  contacts  are gold plated. Not sure if these are that quality...   Gold does not tarnish or oxidize, but still inspect them....can't hurt.  The previous post for G&G is also helpful info.

dtmonday
Apprentice

@jdegann wrote:

I got this after installing new ink - it worked just a bit and then when I turned printer off and on, got this msg.  I took out cartridges and head, put them back in, and no change.

I have same problem What is the solution?

Buy a non Canon printer, they are not going to help anyone, they are too powerful and don't think they need us or our purchases, too bad, they have wonderful products, you just can't trust the company.

God bless you and help Canon change

Jim

@dtmonday wrote:

@jdegann wrote:

I have same problem What is the solution?

Announcements