cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D1520 Grinding Noise. Machine Toast or a Bad Cartridge?

SR1
Apprentice

I have a D1520 with about 65,000 copies on it.  I have used only genuine Canon cartridges.  I put a new cartridge in the printer.  It printed about 3-4 copies without error.  Then, on the next copy, there was a horrible, screeching, grinding sound.  Thereafter, a one inch left margin of copies have a dark band, and toner is clearly visible on one side of the drum.  

The cartridges are expensive and we alway buy one and have it ready for the next cartridge change, so no exchange  is available from the vendor.

Is this a bad cartridge, or is the printer toast?  I am reluctant to buy another cartridge only to learn that the machine will kill it as well.

Suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Since we have nothing but your description to go on, this is more like asking us to speculate what the problem is?

What troubleshooting steps have you performed?

Have you removed and reseated the toner catridge?

Checked moving parts for proper alighnment?

Inspected parts for wear or internal damage? 

Does this only happen during a "Copy" operation or when performing any task?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your response, Rick.

1.  I have re-seated the cartridge many times and BTW, this is the second new cartridge that this has happened to.

2.  I have no way to check moving parts for alignment.  I have no service manual nor expertise in physical printer repair.

3.  I have cleaned and done a visual inspection of the areas where the cartridge sits.  Nothing appears different.

4.  The loudgrinding sound only occurred once, with each cartridge, and I turned the machine off immediately.  Then, after restarting it,  the machine prints or copies -- it does not make any different as to operation -- but the cartridge now has toner leaking from one side and prints with excess toner on that side.  Hence my question or fear that it is the machine and not two bad cartridges.

Hi SR1.

If toner is leaking, and especially if the printer is making grinding noises, do not use the printer, and contact our support line 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.  They can help you arrange for service, if necessary.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements