cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color imageCLASS MF642Cdw no toner status access on PC

Wolfie1038
Contributor

I just purchased the Color imageCLASS MF642Cdw. My OS is Win10 and the device is conncected via USB (USB Printer cable).  I have tried to view the toner status via the "Toner Status" on my PC and nothing happens.  I also tried to access it via "Canon Office Printer Utility" and it tells me it can not be displayed.  I can access the status via the display but not on the PC. 

I have always had Epson Inkjet printers and this is my first laser printer. The Epsons had a program called Epson Scan and I loved being able to scan and have it appear on the desktop so I could work on it a bit before I printed it, but I don't see anything like that with this Canon Laser.  Is there something similar to Epson Scan that Canon offers?

Sorry for the questions, but we're trying to teach an old dog new tricks here, so please be patient with this old lady! 😉

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The good news is yes.  Your Canon printer includes an app similar to the epson. 

Its called ScanGear

Your Toner Status should be available and viewable from the System Tray.  Is it possible you haven't installalled all of the software, or maybe security software is keeping the canon applications from running on your machine?

Call Canon Support.  They will assist and ensure your printer is correctly installed and operating as expected. 

1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I still don't see the toner status.  I see the icon for it, but when I click on it I get this message...

"No Printer Driver that supports Toner Status was detected.  Install a printer driver that supports Toner Status,  then perform the operation again."

I installed the "Recommended" driver that was on the Canon driver download page.  It was....

[Windows 64bit] MF644Cdw/MF642Cdw MFDrivers (Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear)

There are 3 other "Optional Drivers" listed but was not sure if I should download them or not.  They are....

Optional Driver(s)

Generic UFR II V4 Printer Driver v2.1
UFR II/UFRII LT V4 Printer Driver V7.1.2
[Windows 64bit] Generic Plus UFR II Printer Driver V2.10

I just didn't want to download and install these and mess it up.....do I need to install any of these optional drivers or would any of these optional drivers give me the toner status? 

Thanks in advance.

Did you figure out the solution?

I have the same issue No Toner Status 

Ok I just figured out a work around if you have the printer setup on a network go into windows file explorer > click network find the printer right click it click View Device Webpage > login in and you can see your toner levels there 

I did figure it out I guess.  Like I said in my previous post, there were 3 "optional" drivers.  I decided to try the last one...[Windows 64bit] Generic Plus UFR II Printer Driver V2.10 and after I did that, the toner status showed up in my system tray.

Strange I'm running latest windows 10 64bit and  I installed the Windows 64bit] Generic Plus UFR II Printer Driver V2.10 driver and it don't work for me no printer status icon on the system tray ?

Thanks SO much! I have been looking for a solution to this for some time. It is good to be able to check my toner status easily! Thank you again!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements