cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color imageCLASS MF642Cdw Loud Clicking Noise

Frost_Trunks
Apprentice

Hello,

I have had this printer for a little over a year.  Last night, while printing several pages front and back, I noticed a very loud clicking noise.  Kind of like something was trying to grab but could not.  Everything seemed to print, and I got no error.  But the clicking has me concerned.  I pulled out the paper tray and looked for jammed paper, saw nothing.  I re seated the toner, which I thought helped but it came back. I do use third party toner, I can't afford the good stuff.  It's not new toner, I have been using these catridges for a few months now with no issue.

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We want to help, but cannot do much based on your decription of a clicking noise.  Clicking where, front, back, deep inside the printer?

Its impossible for someone to to provide anything more than general advice.

Your troubleshooting steps were good.  Its often possible to resolve issues like these with closer insepection, cleaning and reseating.  You may want to check the duplexing portion of the printer as well, since you were printing double sided when the issue ocurred.

3rd party inks / toners can and often do work, but they can also fail unexpectedly or prematurely.  There is no way we can be sure from a post in a support forum.  

You'll have to try and establish where the clicking is coming from in order to determine what might be causing the issue.  

Paper feeding, During printing, Duplexing, or Output.  Hope you can figure it out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply.  The sound seems to come from the right side of the printer.  I can put my hand on it and feel the knock/click.  Not sure if that is helpful.

dws2006
Contributor
Frost_trunks did you ever figure out the source of the sound? I too am experiencing the same loud click in my mfc644cdw and am using 3rd party toner cartridges. Everything seems to be seated properly and prints fine but that loud “click” gives me reason for concern. It seems to only do it after it prints, not during the actual printing process.

No, I ended up getting a replacement.

My best guess was that the slots at the end of the cartridge (I think they are triangles), that the machine uses to roll the toner, were misaligned or too large. Causing the pins in the printer to slip when turning.  I was going to try to fix/rig it, but the new printer seems ok so far.

I would check those holes and compare them to the starters that came with the printer.  Best of luck.

Thanks, good luck with your new one. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy OEM cartridges in the future. Much more expensive but I hate this clicking sound and don't want to risk damage to my machine.  Too bad cuz otherwise, the print quality of these cartidges is excellent.

Did you solve this problem?  I've got it too.  Rediculous because I haven't put many miles on this printer at all!  I'm sure it's the little slots on the right slide slipping as they're trying to connect w/ the cartridge.  Can't get in there to try to fix anything though!

My printer too is like new, the clicking started when I replaced the original starter toner cartidges with new ones which were 3rd party cartridges.  I bit the bullet and paid 4x more for OEM Canon cartridges and pulled the 3rd party cartridges out (even though they are 95% full) and the clicking and error messages have stopped.  Good luck with your's.

Hey, I am glad you were able to confirm my theory.  I am almost 100% sure it is the slots at the end of the toner.  Most likely it's not the printer, but the slots in the toner.  If you can make the 3rd party slots match the OEM toner, they should work better.  You could use playdoh to make an imprint of the inside of the slot on the 3rd party and one of the OEM and compare them.  Or if you just want to eyeball it.  I am not sure how you would correct the issue.  Unless you could pull part of the OEM for that part and put it on the 3rd party.  I am still using the 3rd party since getting the new printer.  No issues yet

SDAderm
Apprentice

We are experiencing the same clicking noise problem when printing, printer is fairly new about 5 to 6 months, prints properly but that clicking noise is a concern. We are using Canon genuine toner cartridges. Video of clicking noise 

Announcements