cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX860 repeats B200 error code -- brought it back to store , they couldn't fix it.

csheehey
Apprentice

Canon MX860 has error code B200, have cleaned and removed printer head

code still blinks.

82 REPLIES 82

nature7870
Apprentice

Solution 3:
Turn off the power
Open the panel
Turn on the power
Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left.
Let it go past half way
Before print carriage reaches left hand side shut the cover.
Leave the Printer turned on

VannaB4
Apprentice

Hey, I'm the 2nd to post in a week on this old thread and bring it back to life. 🙂  I got this error too - first time I've ever had problems with this printer and it's getting old so I am thankful for this thread to keep me from having to buy a new printer...yet. 

I tried batteryheadbill's solution and kept getting the error so I tried the solution from Tom's Hardware but got the error when I tried printing 2-sided so...I tried the solution from Tom's again, went to the maintenance menu, cleaned the print head and tried printing again.  2-sided.  Success.  Not sure what combination did it but that doesn't matter as much as I am up and running again.  Thank you to everyone on this thread!  I knew there had to be a way to fix this error - sometimes (no most of the time) the consumer has better answers than the manufacturer.

evamac
Apprentice

I tried washing the ink head, restarting--no luck--then I found this and it worked--had to do it 3 times before the error stopped reappearing.

From: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1963504/workaround-b200-error-canon-printers.html

"1. Turn OFF Power
2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks)
3. Turn ON power
4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way
5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover.
6. Leave the Printer turned on
7. Good to go.

(Very occasionally I have had to do this twice in a row to get past the error)"

Thanks, Tom's Hardware!

Tried all the above. Message disappears, but returns when I try to print.

That happened the first two times, but after the third it has been OK.

evamac
Apprentice

UPDATE: worked for about 3 weeks, now won't power up at all. Guess the error code was a sign of a bigger problem.

ITgreybeard
Contributor

In my case the replacement printhead did not work, directly out of the package. I tried it on 2 Pixma MX860 printers, on each of which an old printhead worked fine. I was tempted to return it - especially because the printhead as delivered was wet with ink and some other fluid, but found that a printhead cleaning procedure enabled it to function well (for me, this time).

For the procedure you will need: 1. Water; 2. Glass cleaner such as Windex; 3. Rubbing Alcohol; 4. A dish or bowl (plastic or glass or ceramic (or metal?) whose diameter is large enough to accommodate the printhead; 5. A heat source to dry the printhead after cleaning.

Procedure: 1. Spray the printhead liberally with glass cleaner. You may want to direct the spray into the incoming and outgoing ink orifices; 2. Soak the printhead in a water+glass cleaner solution dish for an indeterminate time; 3. Swish the printhead around in the solution to extract from the printhead ink that was presumably used in manufacturer testing; 4. Rinse the printhead off with clean water. Pat its orifices with a towel or paper towel; 5. Dispose of the solution; 6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 until no ink seems to be leaching from the printhead either into solution or onto the towel; 7. Pat the printhead dry with a soft towel or paper towel; Do NOT let the printhead dry any further yet!; 8. Soak the printhead in rubbing alcohol in the dish. Swish it around with the goal of displacing water left in the printhead with the rubbing alcohol. Let it sit in the solution for an hour or more; 9. Repeat step 8 with new rubbing alcohol another time or two; 10. Dry the printhead with non-destructive heat. I used a combination of soft toweling, sunshine and forced air house heat; 11. Try it out again in the printer. I hope that it works for you.

dannybones
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MX922 (5 cartridges). Unplugging and waiting didn't work. The cartridge carriage wouldn't move to middle position, so I pulled it there by hand, shut down, and restarted. That did the trick!

Huflungpoo
Apprentice
Thanks. Helped me solve problem on MX870. With the power on I pushed the print head/cartridges all the way to the left then I turned the power off. Then I turned the power on and waited for the print head to push against my hand. I let go as it moved it all the way to the right. While it did this I closed the printer. This gave me a normal screen on the face of my printer. Then I went into settings...then maintenance and did a print head alignment. Problem solved

raconteur50
Apprentice

The easiest way to fix this error is to open the printer as if you were going to change ink, wait for the cartridges to move past the half way point around 3/4 across and simply shut the lid. This works every time for me, although it may take a few tries. After you complete this simple technique, a person will then have control of the printer and can do whatever type of maintenance they would like-it gives you your printer back

Announcements