cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX860 repeats B200 error code -- brought it back to store , they couldn't fix it.

csheehey
Apprentice

Canon MX860 has error code B200, have cleaned and removed printer head

code still blinks.

82 REPLIES 82

That is what worked for me too. Of course I had an old clogged printhead that I popped in and it fixed the problem so I KNEW all I needed was a new printhead that wasn't clogged. Might be worth the new printhead to try for some people. Just putting it in without the ink cartridges will tell you if that is the problem or not- if it doesn't come up normal complaining about no print cartridges then THAT is not it, so if the printhead isn't the issue you could always return it maybe?

rickajr, THANK YOU! Your solution worked for me. So grateful for your easy fix and for this forum.

@rickajr, Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried several of the earlier suggestions, including the "move it to the left" trick that worked for many people, but so far no luck. I have an MP560, not MX860 (as in the original question), so maybe that's part of the problem? But the error code is still B200, and it shows immediately after powering up...

I'm trying the suggestion (above) that you posted from TomsHardware (p.s. I love that site!). But my printer carriage never moves far enough to the left to get to the point of "just past half-way to the left" (steps 4 and 5). It actually stops by itself just *before* it gets halfway to the left. It just stops about 1/3 of the way to the left. Even if I push it all the way to the left before turning on (as others have suggested), when I power up it still goes all the way to the right like it's supposed to, and then it again goes about 1/3 of the way to the left and just stops. I even tried closing the cover (step 5) as soon as it starts moving left, since I know it'll never get halfway, but still no luck getting rid of the error message.

It's almost like the print carriage gets phsycially stuck on something and can't keep going to the left. But there's nothing in the way, and I've wiped any residual ink off the carriage "track".  As far as I can tell, none of the cables to the print carriage are loose, but some of them are hard to see without taking the printer apart. (which I'm willing to do, if absolutely nothing else works).

I'm pretty bummed. I loved this printer, and I told lots of people to consider buying Canon printers, specifically the ones where the color inks are in 3 separate cartridges. ( I can't stand throwing away a 3-ink combo cartridge just because one color has run out). But if this issue with the" B200 error" is a common problem, then I don't want to risk spending money on a 2nd Canon printer that will have the same problem. 😞   😞   😞

I may decide to check out HP printers instead. I didn't like the HP printers as much, but they do have several models w/ 3 separate color ink cartridges, which is a "must" on my list of specifications for a new printer. I've also heard good things about the Brother printers, but I really do like (love!) my Canon Pixma printer... until now. 😞

rickajr:  THIS IS TRULY AMAZING!  It worked for me!  How on Earth did you discover this way of fixing the problem???  Your contribution: 

This is the craziest of all errors and I've been in the computer industry for more than 20 years.  I tried the canon solution and the push to the left - neither worked.  I found another online by Tom's Hardware.

Website:  http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1963504/workaround-b200-error-canon-printers.html

Here's the info:

This is truly unbelievable but it did work for me:

I have become fed up with the number of 'broken' Canon multifunction printers that I have come across that show the 'B200' error on the screen. I have communicated with Canon UK, Canon Europe and certain Canon engineers, all of whom can offer no credible reason for the error nor a definitive solution other than "...its possibly the power supply, buy a new one..." or "...its possibly the carriage, buy a new one..." 

I have established a workaround that has put trouble free life back into many supposedly 'broken' printers.

1. Turn OFF Power
2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks)
3. Turn ON power
4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way
5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover.
6. Leave the Printer turned on
7. Good to go.

(Very occasionally I have had to do this twice in a row to get past the error)

rickajr: THIS IS TRULY AMAZING! It worked for me! How on Earth did you discover this way of fixing the problem???  Your contribution:

This is the craziest of all errors and I've been in the computer industry for more than 20 years.  I tried the canon solution and the push to the left - neither worked.  I found another online by Tom's Hardware.

Website:  http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1963504/workaround-b200-error-canon-printers.html

Here's the info:

This is truly unbelievable but it did work for me:

I have become fed up with the number of 'broken' Canon multifunction printers that I have come across that show the 'B200' error on the screen. I have communicated with Canon UK, Canon Europe and certain Canon engineers, all of whom can offer no credible reason for the error nor a definitive solution other than "...its possibly the power supply, buy a new one..." or "...its possibly the carriage, buy a new one..." 

I have established a workaround that has put trouble free life back into many supposedly 'broken' printers.

1. Turn OFF Power
2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks)
3. Turn ON power
4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way
5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover.
6. Leave the Printer turned on
7. Good to go.

(Very occasionally I have had to do this twice in a row to get past the error)

Rickajr you are a GOD. Yours was the only solution to the B200 problem with my MX870.  Tried all the ones listed above.  Watched Vids on UTube to fix -clean and replace print head.  Thank you.

Sincerely

Greg 

What the hell!  rickajr's hint worked like a charm!

I just signed up to say THANK YOU!!!!

OMG!  just used rickajr's hint below and it worked!  Don't know why, but it did... my canon got the B200 error after I was trying to print 2 sided items; guess I won't do that again.

Anyway, so far so good, and THANK YOU!

Oh my gosh, this totally worked. I tried all of the other stuff...take out ink, remove print head, turn off power...to no avail. I just thought I would try this but didn't think it would work. Crazy. Thank you so much...in the middle of printing xmas cards.

Hi Rickajr, you recorded the only fix that worked for me.  I spend a couple of hours plugging and unplugging the power cord, turning off/on my MX870 printer.  I started shopping online for a new printer.  Canon Corporation recommended the Canon MX922.  I researched that printer and typically the comments were "slow, slow and slower".  I started reviewing the Brother J5520DW which also has all the bells and whistles. I took a break from researching possible new printer purchases when I came across your post.  You are teriffic.  Your recommendation that worked for you also worked for me.  I didn't have to plug and unplug the printer and wait 10 minutes or more.  Thanks again and I will document your post for my future reference. Thanks again Rickajr....

P.S. Once thing I want to mention is that Canon customer support was 5 stars in my opinion during my conversation with them.

Announcements