cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF8280Cw can print but not scan

shpider
Contributor

I have a Canon MF8280Cw and a PC.  I have installed the software (multiple times) and connected via a wireless network.  If I input the IP address in a browser I get to the screen the manuals say I should see.  I can print, but when I go to scan I get the message "connect to the computer."  I was told I am connected!  The scanning software says it can't find the scanner but it does show my machine in a dropdown menu, and then when I go to the scan utility in the toolbar it doesn't even show the machine.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting stuff in the manual, uninstalled and reinstalled several times, gone through the whole network setup several times, and still no success.  Can anyone help?!?

32 REPLIES 32

We have the same issue in our company, it doesnt matter if mac or windows, all can print and sometimes the scanner works for one or two pages on one notebook and sometimes never...its really anoying me...

Please help....

Expo
Apprentice

Has anyone found an issue for this?  I have the exact same issues as original poster, Sphider.  

I can see the printer in the Pulldown on the MF Toolbox, but scanner does not show up on MF Network Scan Utility.  

Guy_S
Apprentice

I have the same problem... for the second time. I don't know how I solved it the first time but it worked for several months.

The problem has reappeared today, I ran the trouble shooting and everethings seems fine.

I tried to scan something and got the messages on my computer: "check cable, must be disconnected (I'm using wi-fi)" and "the scan must be shut off" (but was on). Its a translation of the messages I get (the sofware is installed in french).

Furthermore, I tried to install the software on an other computer and nothing works.

I'm really getting frustated with this piece of cr... printer. I would prefer spending my time (well work) on scanning and printing documents rather than ALWAYS trying to fix this damm thing.Smiley Frustrated

gocalba
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

If you have not found the solution yet. This is what I discovered perhaps someone has given this method, if not then try to follow the instructions below. Please let me know if it works with you.

I have a similar problem before with my iMac but not with my Windows 10.

For several install/uninstall attempts yet it didn't work. Then, I finally was able to work it out.

1. Use the MF toolbox application. Click the icon.

2. Go to the Network Scanner settings.

3. Click the "+" sign to add your scanner. (Mine is Canon MF8200C Series). Be sure that it is checked. You can add up to 10 scanners.

4. Go to your scanner machine and from there, push the "scan" button. Select a scan type which is "computer" (don't use the remote nor the USB memory select) then, the "specify the destination" appears (mine is Administrator's iMac). Push the OK button.

5. Go back to your computer screen and check the scanner in the MF Toolbox.

6. The application will appear then click the color scan or any of those icons that is displayed on your own choosing.

7. Click the "start" button at the bottom. Then if you hear your scanner machine running. Then, there you are.

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day!

janeimperiale
Apprentice

I see lots of complaints about the MX492 but cannot find any answers.  I am new to this forum can someone help me to get the scanner working.  It prints fine. Thanks  Jane

haseeb01
Apprentice

Hi There, 

I just bought MF8280cw imageClass printer copier and scanner and fax machine from an individual. I connected the printer, but scanner does not work to my Macbook Air when I try the option connect to computer. 

when I use PC 1 or PC 2, it says Connect Computer. When I download the drivers from the Canon USA drivers list for scanner and fax, and when I try to add the scanner from the Printers and SCanners option in MacBook Air system settings. when I try to add using IP address option, it says "scanner not supported". Can you please help what should I fix this? I could easily connect it to my windows computer. 

thank you,

Mike

Hi Mike.

Please try to add the printer using the MF Toolbox software. Please follow the steps below:

1.  Select [Applications] under [GO].

2.  Select [Canon MF Utilities] > [MF Toolbox 4.9].

3.  You may receive an error that the scanner is not connected.  This is fine.

4.  Click [MF Toolbox] next to the Apple icon in the left corner of the screen and select [Network Settings].

5.  Select the [MF8200C Series], and then click on the [+] symbol and select [Add].

After the scanner has been added, please quit the MF Toolbox, and then select Remote Scanner on the machine:

b_dis234.gif 

Return to the computer, and then open the MF Toolbox. Please click Document. The machine should start scanning.

If an error occurs, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Although my printer is MF8580cdw but I was having similar issues since forever. Using Windows 10, latest drivers, different PCs, I could print and the Network Scan would show the printer but it would never get a scan from the printer.
I tried sending from the printer, remote scanning, emailing - All failed.
However today I downloaded and reinstalled the latest drivers again, restarted the PC followed by net network patch (Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan) and restarted the PC. And bingo, it started working. So please try the network patch. Good Luck.

Hi,

I have a lenovo pc running windows 10. I can print, but not scan. I uninstalled old printer drivers and installed new printer driver and patch. Restarted the computer. Attempted to scan through USB. The scanner responds, but only gives black image. MF Toolbox does not recognize the scanner.

Hi, jmomand.

Try making a copy.  Does that come out black as well?  If so, then the scanning element has gone bad, and the MF8280Cw will need to be replaced. 

If normal copying does not produce the same black page, then either something is interfering with the USB signals, or security software on the computer is blocking the scanned information from getting to the computer.  Try a different USB port on the laptop (avoid USB hubs and docking station USB ports).  If changing USB ports doesn't correct the problem, try disabling your security software and scanning.  If the scan goes through with the security software disabled, then you'll need to change the security software's settings to allow data from the MF8280Cw and MF Toolbox.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements