cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF642Cdw disconnecting/not printing

minhannguyen1
Apprentice

Hello,

I am having issues with my Canon laser printer I just purchased and I've tried calling customer service but the hold was way too long. The issue I am having is that the printer will stop printing/being connected to the server after being idle or away for a bit. I will have to go into my Macbook settings and delete the printer, disconnect the wifi on the printer, and then reconnect wifi, and then add the printer to my laptop again. It is such a hassle. I check the wireless LAN settings on the printer and sometimes it will switch on and off and say disconnected. I even turned off power save mode.

I have an HP ink printer although in settings says "idle" it stays connected no matter how long I've been away. This is how it should be.

Please help me out, thank you!!

Screenshot from my Macbook Printer & Scanners setting: 

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 6.54.00 PM.png

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Use my suggestions in this thread...  MAC option as a guideline:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/printer-not-found-sometimes/m-p/321372#M8438

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sonya1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello minhannguyen1,

I understand that your Color imageCLASS MF624Cdw is not staying connected to your wireless network. I see from your screen shot that you are using the "AirPrint" driver.  If you have not already done so, I suggested you download and install the driver for your MF624Cdw from our web site (click HERE) then follow the steps below to add the network printer using the MF624Cdw driver.

1. Open [System Preferences], and click [Print & Fax], [Print & Scan], or [Printers & Scanners].
2. Click the [+] icon.
If another dialog box does not appear, click [Add Other Printer or Scanner] or [Add Printer or Scanner] after clicking the [+] icon.
3. Register the printer and fax.
3-A. Bonjour Connection
3-A-1. Click [Default], and select a printer name for which [Bonjour] is displayed in the [Kind] column.
3-A-2. Select either one of the following options from [Print Using] or [Use]: [Select a driver to use], [Select Printer Software], or [Select Software].
3-A-3. Select a driver that is capable for this machine from the driver list, and click [OK].
  • If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.x, clicking [OK] is not required.
3-A-4. Click [Add].
3-B. TCP/IP Connection
3-B-1. Click [IP], and select a print protocol from [Protocol].
If you want to use the machine in an IPv6 environment, select LPD or Socket for [Protocol].
3-B-2. Enter the IP address of the machine to [Address], and select either one of the following options from [Print Using] or [Use]: [Select a driver to use], [Select Printer Software], or [Select Software].
3-B-3. Select a driver that is capable for this machine from the driver list, and click [OK].
  • If you are using Mac OS X 10.5.x, clicking [OK] is not required.
3-B-4. Click [Add].
4. Check that this machine is added to the [Print & Fax], [Print & Scan], or [Printers & Scanners] dialog box.

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Dirko
Apprentice

Solved. I had the same problem of losing connection to a Canon MF645C. The problem has been solved by changing the printer's IP address from fixed to dynamic ( DHCP).

If you use the Remote User Interface (RUI; you can change the settings on the printer itself as well): Log in as administrator, choose "Settings/Registration", "Network Settings", "IPv4 Settings", "Edit", "Select Protocol": set to "DHCP" and "Auto IP": set to "on", finish with "OK". Remember to also activate the DHCP options.

I usually have a fixed/static printer IP address, set in the printer. I use an ISP provided router, very stable and well-maintained. For the sake of reducing complications, the option to define fixed IP addresses in the router itself has been suppressed.  If you need a static printer IP address, most routers that are fully under your control do have  the option in the router, so try that. A dynamic printer IP address is OK for private use or a small organization: you can get to the printer webpage easily by clicking on the printer icon, without knowing the IP address.

The root cause seems to be with the Canon MF printer. I have two other brands of printers that are connected with static IP addresses, working without problems.  If Canon staff reads this, may I suggest that this issue is internally notified. A small change of the firmware could possibly resolve this once and for all.

I hope this helps, please provide feedback.

Announcements