cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF642Cdw Asks me to load paper into tray 1 every time I print

dainouye
Apprentice

Every time I try to print to the printer, an error pops up that says "Load Paper. LTR/Plain 1".  I have to manually select the second option to get it to print.  I've tried setting the deflaut paper tray several times, but the error still pops up.  I print from windows and android.  Please help me.  

Thanks

IMG_20210812_085424.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems to be a bit of shared pain out there on this topic of late.  In my case, my wife's new Lenovo Laptop (Win 11) generated this behavior (where the printer wants to use the slot load above the tray and requires one to alter that default at the printer), whereas my Win 10 Desktop did not.  Both running with the printer on the network with a static IP. 

As my fix turned out to be different that what I believe I've see here, thought I'd report it:  Here's the path to my fix, standing at the printer:

Menu\Function Settings\printer\printer settings\prioritize driver\

When you get there, set the setting for the paper drawer to "on," and you may have a fix. 

These printers are reliable and feature laden.  I like ours very much.  But this needs work Cannon.  There seemingly ought to be a setting both immediately available at the Driver or at the Machine -- and they should talk to one another if at all possible, so that a fix in either location works, and doesn't get overridden or countermanded. 

Still, I suppose I should take some satisfaction in once again proving to be the household admin -- after about an hour plus of guessing aimlessly.  Not really what we're looking for here.  Hope this helps somebody else save time. 

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Hooker12
Apprentice

I had same problem, verfied driver and printer had same paper type and size.  Finally solved the problem by removing the requirement to "Specify When Loading Paper:" for the multi-purpose tray on the printer.  It now works as it should and pulls from the Drawer paper tray.

Seems to be a bit of shared pain out there on this topic of late.  In my case, my wife's new Lenovo Laptop (Win 11) generated this behavior (where the printer wants to use the slot load above the tray and requires one to alter that default at the printer), whereas my Win 10 Desktop did not.  Both running with the printer on the network with a static IP. 

As my fix turned out to be different that what I believe I've see here, thought I'd report it:  Here's the path to my fix, standing at the printer:

Menu\Function Settings\printer\printer settings\prioritize driver\

When you get there, set the setting for the paper drawer to "on," and you may have a fix. 

These printers are reliable and feature laden.  I like ours very much.  But this needs work Cannon.  There seemingly ought to be a setting both immediately available at the Driver or at the Machine -- and they should talk to one another if at all possible, so that a fix in either location works, and doesn't get overridden or countermanded. 

Still, I suppose I should take some satisfaction in once again proving to be the household admin -- after about an hour plus of guessing aimlessly.  Not really what we're looking for here.  Hope this helps somebody else save time. 

Bless you for posting this. It seems to be a problem with multiple models of Canon printers.

I have an MF656Cdw I bought a couple months ago. Never had this problem until today. Might be related to a power outage earlier, not sure.

Went to print something and it started complaining about the paper tray, which it never has before. Tried all the normal troubleshooting, power cycling, etc. No option to select paper tray in the driver.

Finally started Googling stuff, stumbled across this answer, which worked perfectly for me. That setting is absolutely buried in there. And it should just be like that by default. WTF Canon. Starting to regret just not getting a Brother. Touch screen sucks and overall not terribly pleased for what I spent.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this. Fixed it for me and my MF656Cdw.

OMG  This worked!  Finally, I don't have to tell it which tray and paper size to use every time I print.  Thank you so much.  

Thanks so much!!!  I was having this problem printing from a second PC.  Seemed to work fine on my original PC.   You saved me some serious time and frustration 

thanks, i had the same issue and its solved

I followed with success your solution to printer to Load Paper. LTR/Plain 1 and having to manually select the second option to get it to print.  Then it came time to print address labels for Christmas letters.  I can not get the printer to print labels at all where before I would just place the labels in the paper tray and the printer would automatically print them.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Hi Betsy: 

Wow, for the longest time after I posted that fix, all was silent.  But now, lots of activity.  Canon must be selling some printers this season. 

I don't know the printer well enough to answer your question, but I suspect that you're dealing with a different issue than the one covered here.  The printer wouldn't change the default tray assignment simply because you put something different in the tray (assuming that you're putting your labels in the tray that you normally use with plain paper. 

A likely culprit is something having to do with paper type.  Labels will tend to be thicker, and that may be why the printer won't proceed.  Canon apparently may not have a "label" paper type, but it appears that some have worked around it by picking something like a photo paper. 

You might google a bit for threads like this one, which might point you to a solution. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Desktop-Inkjet-Printers/Which-Media-Type-to-choose-for-printing-L...

Best,

Mike

Thank you Sir for the solution.   I have had my Canon MF642C for three days now, and your solution solved two problems.   1.  It stopped the load paper message from appearing  and 2.  I no longer need to get up each time to manually print every document,  because the printer would not automatically print when the document was in the printer queue.  The getting up and sitting down  to print each document racked my nerves.  Today, I was determined to find a solution via Google,  and came upon your solution to perform the following:

Menu\Function Settings\printer\printer settings\prioritize driver\on

Thank you SO much.  I bought this printer to replace an HP that I'd loved but it finally gave up on life.  I've had this Canon for three days and was ready to go throw it through Best Buy's window.  The instruction manual is crap and I am a pretty good self help techy but this load paper thing was flat out stupid.  I would have never found what you did and I refused to call Canon and spend three hours on the phone with someone who didn't speak english.  Your solution fixed it!  Thank you!  Canon, if you're reading this you have a long way to go with your instruction manual and your app to even come close to HP.  I am still considering a return.  We will see what tomorrow brings. 

Announcements