cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF642Cdw Asks me to load paper into tray 1 every time I print

dainouye
Apprentice

Every time I try to print to the printer, an error pops up that says "Load Paper. LTR/Plain 1".  I have to manually select the second option to get it to print.  I've tried setting the deflaut paper tray several times, but the error still pops up.  I print from windows and android.  Please help me.  

Thanks

IMG_20210812_085424.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems to be a bit of shared pain out there on this topic of late.  In my case, my wife's new Lenovo Laptop (Win 11) generated this behavior (where the printer wants to use the slot load above the tray and requires one to alter that default at the printer), whereas my Win 10 Desktop did not.  Both running with the printer on the network with a static IP. 

As my fix turned out to be different that what I believe I've see here, thought I'd report it:  Here's the path to my fix, standing at the printer:

Menu\Function Settings\printer\printer settings\prioritize driver\

When you get there, set the setting for the paper drawer to "on," and you may have a fix. 

These printers are reliable and feature laden.  I like ours very much.  But this needs work Cannon.  There seemingly ought to be a setting both immediately available at the Driver or at the Machine -- and they should talk to one another if at all possible, so that a fix in either location works, and doesn't get overridden or countermanded. 

Still, I suppose I should take some satisfaction in once again proving to be the household admin -- after about an hour plus of guessing aimlessly.  Not really what we're looking for here.  Hope this helps somebody else save time. 

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

magickgirl5
Apprentice

Thank you so much! This solved my issue, and saved me from going on a rampage. 

bmagnan547
Apprentice

Yes!  I am finding this printer to be very touchy.  I'm close to returning it.  

Announcements