cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF4770n scanner not working on Windows 10 x64

shyam09
Apprentice

The printer works fine without any trouble, but Toolbox (to scan documents) isn't working. It doesn't detect the scanner. Is there an update for this printer to support windows 10 soon? Or is there another way I can go about doing this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The drivers have been updated for WIndows 10. Scanner works perfectly over network. 

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

I also have a Canon MF4350d.  I tried what you did, but it did not work for me.  Called Canon, no help.  They referred me to Microsoft.  Microsoft suggested I either roll back back to earlier OS, buy new scanner, or pay them $$$ and they would investigate further.  I told them they needed to get off their $%&** and offer a fix for this scanner incompatibility issue.  They more or less told me they did not care and I hung up on them.

After downloading and installing the latest version of the print drivers and MF Toolbox software you need to change a setting in Windows 10 to resolve the issue with scanning with the MF Toolbox after rebooting your computer.  Please follow the steps below:

1. In the search box next to the Windows icon type in Services, and click on the Services Desktop App in the list.

2. Scroll down the list of services until you locate Windows Image Acquisition and double click.

3. Confirm the [Startup type:] is set for Automatic.

4. Click on the Log On tab. Then click the radio button next to [Local System account], and check the box next to [Allow service to interact with desktop].

5. Click the Recovery Tab, and for [First Failure] select Restart the Service. Click Apply, then OK at the bottom.

6. Restart the computer.

Been having this problem for quite awhile. Frustrating and time consuming trying to fix. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INFORMATION as it seems to have finally cured it. BLESS YOU....

vagabondSteve
Contributor

Upgraded to Win 10 today, so I had this problem too.....however......

OK, so this isn't an exact substitute for the Toolbox....

Download and install the latest drivers for your MF4770n from this site. Restart your PC. Test printing.

Windows App store, Windows Scan app, install

At MF4770n load a doc to scan, select Remote Scanner, open Windows Scan App

USe the drop down menus to select source, output etc. You can preview platen scans, not auto feeder docs.

Works for me, hope it does for you.

Steve

After having used Canon's ToolBox and Windows SCAN, I don't see any point to loading the ToolBox.  SCAN is already part of Win 10 and is more intuitive,

The drivers have been updated for WIndows 10. Scanner works perfectly over network. 

I have 42 users with 9 printers 8 of them Canon and 3 of those 8 are mf4770n printers. The new drivers WITH the "patch" still do not fully work on Win 10 PC's. I have 3 Users that shared a Canon ImageClass mf4570dn, this printer (after many many faithful prints) was replaced with a mf4770n from another department (after upgrading the donating dept. to a Canon D1520). Suddenly, of the 3 users, 2 had no issues with installing the mf4770n software drivers, toolbox and network patch. The third PC has an issue where the network installation does not find the mf4770 (or the other two on the Network as it sholud). I am able to ping the Printers IP (which did not change), so I know the PC can "see" the printer. I can however, use Win 10 to "Add a Printer" because Windows 10 DOES find the printer on the network AND I can also manually add the printer by specifing the IP / Port. This tells me that the printer is indeed "visible" on the network and the problem is still with the mf4770n installation software. Annother problem arises if I use Win 10 to add the printer: I am not able to scan. The Win 10 scan app does not recognize the mf4770n as a scanner. So, Canon, please look again at the software for Win 10 Pro x64. Thanks.

That worked for me. Thanks!

The Windows 10 Scan App / Feature does see the MF4770n as a scanner and it does work. Unfortunately, it does not have .pdf as a scan to profile (the options are: BMP, JPG, PNG and TIFF) That is hard to fathom!

donglacville
Apprentice

Here is what I found which solved the problem with scanning.

1. Open the Windows desktop.
2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.
3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".
4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.
5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART115

Announcements