cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF4450 Windows 8 Driver

SEALBoy
Contributor

When can we expect proper working drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 x64 for this printer?

Right now the scan function is extremely fickle and if the Toolbox fails to detect the scanner sometimes I have to remove the drivers and reinstall them (even a restart doesn't always work).

This is very frustrating as I need to scan documents on a regular basis.

If this is the sort of support I can expect from Canon then I will never be buying one of your products again.

26 REPLIES 26

Hi. I have the same text in a PDF that is included in the driver package.

These words are straight from Canon: When using the scan function while the device is connected to a computer by USB, removing the USB cable and then plugging it back in or turning the device off and then on will cause the scanning function to be unable to execute. If this occurs, please restart the computer.

They don't mean During Scanning. They mean Ever. My Canon works perfectly with every machine But my Win8.1 machine. This is an issue with the drivers. Kindly reply.

Patrice
Whiz

The message below refers to removing the USB cable or turning the machine off in the middle of an active scan:

[Limitations During Operation]
When using the scan function while the device is connected to a computer by USB, removing the USB cable and then
plugging it back in or turning the device off and then on will cause the scanning function to be unable to execute. If this
occurs, please restart the computer.

If you are using Windows 8.1, there was an update to the operating system a few months that may have caused issues with scanning from the Canon MF Toolbox.  I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers in 'Selective Startup Mode', and then setting the MF Toolbox to run as an administrator.  Please follow the instructions below:

To place you computer in a Selective Start Up, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

2.  Select 'Run'.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig

4.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

6.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

7.  Click Apply.

8.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

9.  Click 'Disable All'.

10.  Click Apply.

11.  Click Close.

12.  Restart the computer.

Next, to uninstall the drivers for your MF4450, please follow these steps: (If certain items are not listed or found, move on to the next step.)

1.  Unplug the USB cable from the printer.

2.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

3.  Select 'Control Panel'.

4.  Select Devices and Printers.  The Devices and Printers window opens.

5.  In the Devices and Printers window, right click on the MF4400 Series and select 'Remove' to delete the printer.  Delete all of the icons for the MF4450.

6.  Close the Devices and Printers window then press the Windows key and 'x'.

7.  Select 'Control Panel'.

8.  Select 'Programs and Features'.

9.  Double click on driver to uninstall.  Follow the on screen prompts.  Repeat to uninstall the MF Tool box.

10.  Restart you computer.

Once your computer restarts, and leaving the USB cable disconnected, please follow these steps to download and install the drivers and the MF Toolbox from Canon's web site:

1.  Visit our web site at: http://www.usa.canon.com

2.  After clicking SUPPORT & DRIVERS in the top right corner, select your model in the following manner:

a.  From the first menu, select CONSUMER & HOME OFFICE.

b.  From the second menu, select PRINTERS & MULTIFUNCTIONS.

c.  From the third menu, select your series, IMAGECLASS SERIES.

d.  From the fourth menu, click DRIVERS & SOFTWARE under imageCLASS MF4450.

3.  Your operating system will be automatically detected. 
 4.  Click on 'DRIVERS', then click on [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4450 MF Drivers file. 

5.  Click on I Agree, and the select Download.

6.  When the Save As box comes up, choose Desktop and click Save. 

7.  Once the download is complete,  you will return to the previous page.

8.  Click on 'SOFTWARE', then click on the [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1 file.

9.  Click on I Agree, and then select Download.

10.  When the Save As box comes up, choose Desktop and click Save. 

11.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

12.  Double click the [ToolBox_4911mf16_Win_EN.exe ] file on the Desktop.  Follow the prompts to install the MF Toolbox.

13.  Double click the [MF4450_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_2.exe] files to decompress them.  A new folder will be created on the Desktop.  The new folder has the same name as the decompressed file.  Double-click the decompressed Setup.exe file to start installation.

14.  Once that window goes away, connect the USB cable from the MF4450 to the computer.  Installation will complete.

Wait a few minutes then scan a document using the MF Toolbox.

After you successfully scan a document, please follow these steps to return your computer to Normal Startup:

1.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

2.  Select 'Run'.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig

4.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Click Close.

8.  Restart the computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrice
Whiz

[Con't.]

After restarting the computer, please follow the instructions below to set the Toolbox to run as an administrator:

1. Open the Windows desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users".

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5. Click OK again on the properties screen.

The MF Toolbox should operate normally.

If the error persists, or you need further assistance, I recommend contacting us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I did all the steps you suggested, in the order provided. I couldn't believe that the scan (your previous post) worked.

But then when I re-enabled startup scripts and restarted, I could no longer scan. 

So I'm right back where I was, having followed every one of your suggestions. 

It seems like all the people on here might be on to something, and there is an error in the driver. Would you please ask someone at Canon just to test it?

For reference, I have a 4350d, but it is the same issue every single other ImageCLASS user is having on Windows 8.1.

Like them: 

1. I have a windows7 machine that runs the scan function just fine

2. My windows8.1 machine runs the PRINT function fine, but NOT the SCAN function.

So, please, escalate this so someone at Canon can release a driver that works with this OS for all functions of the multifunction device.

Thanks Patrice!

Hello tuanomsoc,

If the error persists, or you need further assistance, I recommend contacting us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).  One of our friendly reps will be more than happy to explore this further with you.

Thanks!

I called Canon, who asked me to go into Services and try to Stop my WIA service. I couldn't do it. Turns out there is something wrong with Windows 8 that affects some devices but not others. 

I switched WIA to manual and restarted.

I scanned successfully!

I unplugged the printer from USB. Then I replugged it in.

No more scanning.

So Windows can obviously drive the scanner, but something is wrong with the driver

Hey James

I spoke to them. They said that WIA is not working correctly. Except it is, because I can scan. But only once. Because there is a driver problem.

I hope this helps you get this in front of the developers!

Matt

I called again and got the same walkthrough and puzzlement. "It should work" appears to be Canon's diagnosis. It does...just not with the driver Canon made for WIA on Windows 8.1!

Any chance of getting an updated driver?

Announcements