cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF4450 Windows 8 Driver

SEALBoy
Contributor

When can we expect proper working drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 x64 for this printer?

Right now the scan function is extremely fickle and if the Toolbox fails to detect the scanner sometimes I have to remove the drivers and reinstall them (even a restart doesn't always work).

This is very frustrating as I need to scan documents on a regular basis.

If this is the sort of support I can expect from Canon then I will never be buying one of your products again.

26 REPLIES 26

SEALBoy
Contributor

Still waiting for an answer from Canon support...

Hi SEALboy.

I apologize for the delay in response to your question.  Currently the drivers listed under Windows 8 (x64), at the Canon website, are compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.  They have been tested with the imageCLASS MF4450 and there are no known issues.

There are a few things that you can check to verify if they are the cause of the issue, such as the length of the USB cable.  We don't recommend cables over 10'.  If you have the device connected to a USB hub or switch, we recommend that you disconnect it.  I also recommend moving the cable to another USB port on the computer and if you experience the same issue with the USB port, replace the USB cable.

Should you still need assistance, we recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

There is a PDF file in the Windows 8 driver download that specifically says that the scanner driver will stop working under Windows 8 if you turn the printer off.

EDIT: Here is the exact wording:

[Limitations During Operation]
When using the scan function while the device is connected to a computer by USB, removing the USB cable and then
plugging it back in or turning the device off and then on will cause the scanning function to be unable to execute. If this
occurs, please restart the computer.

Oddly enough I do not find a USB port on the MF4450

Hi FRUSTRATE!

The USB port is located on the back of the printer.  I have included a diagram below that shows how the USB cable will connect.  There may be an orange plug in the slot, you can remove it.

4450usb.gif

I hope the diagram is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  Have a great day!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Can you guys PLEASE fix this issue! It is getting extremely frustrating to reinstall the drivers every single time I want to scan a document.

Hi SEALboy.

There are no known issues with the Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers.  The information you gave indicates that the USB cable is being unplugged while the machine is in the process of scanning a document.  If you remove the USB cable while the machine is processing a scan, it will result in an error and you will have to restart the computer and the printer.

Since you continue to experience issues, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, we recommend that you call in and speak with our live technical support technicians.  Please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  The real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

I hope this information is helpful.  Have a good day.

HI there Im sitting with the exact same issue ..same printer
Canon driver delete by itself on win8.1 cant scan
please my Clients gets very Frustrated

I have similar problems.  The ONLY way to scan is to delete all of the Canon software, reinstall the Canon software, and then try again.  After a few attempts this usualy works, but it takes twenty or thirty minutes of this before scanning a one page document and then a few hours later when I try to scan something else it does not work.  

Lately the unit does not want to print any more either.  If I send something to the printer nothing happens.  If I restart the compter three or four times, however, it magically prints the document that I attempted to print days earlier.  

It should be noted that this machine worked PERFECTLY when I was running Windows XP Pro and it barely works at all since I switched to Windows 8.  

It has been long enough now that Canon would have fixed this problem if they had any real intention of doing so.  

Announcements