cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MB5460 keeps going offline

T7
Contributor

As per the title my MB5460 has been a PIA since we bought it. I set it up and everything was fine but everytime we go to use it has gone offline. Sometimes turning it off/on fixes this, sometimes just touching a few buttons on the prrinter fixes it. sometimes the trouble shooter on windows 10 fixes. Nothing is consistant and it is very annoying.

Printer is conected via a wired LAN to a Windows 10 computer. Trying to print from a Windows 10 laptop wirelessly has the same issue as does trying to print from either the laptop, phone or chromebook via a web service. 

I have tried;

restaring the printer, the router and the PC

ensuring that the CNBJNP port is selected (this just caused an error)

unistalling and reinstalling the drivers

ensuring that all power saving options are off

ensuring that all scheduling thiings are off

ensuring that the LAN is enabled via the printer's menus

Baiscally after some screwing around I can usually get it to print, but leave it for a day and it has gone offline again for no apparent reason.

What is going on here?

7 REPLIES 7

T7
Contributor

this printer is so awful.

Now it the printer is stuck on "Sending Fax" and doesn't repond to any button inputs except for an annoying beep and a message that says "cannot power off" if you hit the power button.

I tried unplugging it at the wall but hte message just comes back. The best part.... I HAVE NEVER SENT A FAX!

I tried the suggestion at the link below

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/ag68ix/canon_mb5440_stuck_on_sending_fax/

but it didn't work.

Also the passive aggressive error message about not turning the printer off properly is just bloody lovely.

Is this thing stuffed? Can i take it back and get something good?

Welcome to The Canon Community, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA. 

Wow, so helpful.

@T7 wrote:
Wow, so helpful.

Thats just their request support in the coutry or region where you live spiel. You'll have to get the Fax thing resolved before you can move forward with the printing issue. 

Printer goes offline frequently.  Although this behavior can have more than one cause, I have found that the printer's IP or WSD is often to blame for communication failures.

Here's what I suggest.  Determine the MAC address of the printer's ethernet connection.

Reserve an IP for this MAC on your router

What this does.  Tells your router than anytime this device connects to always give it IP address "X".  It wii never change, nor will it ever give this address to another device on your network.  Now, any device on your network will always be able to find your printer at IP address "X" since it never changes.  This is especially helpful for devices that go to sleep or get turned off for extended periods of time. 

Once the reservation is made, restart your printer.  It should get the IP you assigned it.  Because of the existing configuration of the software or driver, you may still not be able to print, but you will be able to ping your printer and visit it's webserver in your browser.  Now you have confirmed communication and a static address for your device.  Note my example is HP, but Canon works the same.

ping.png

Next step.  You can use the Canon IJ Networking Utility to set the known IP address for your printer.  Or, you can remove the printer from your computer and uninstall the software, then rerun the installation program and in doing so, ensure the software knows it will communicate with the printer at IP address "X".

Moving forward, your printer will always get the same IP, and any device connected wired or wirelessly to your network will always be able to find the printer at its destination IP.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

T7
Contributor
Thanks. I'm working with Canon Australia to get the "sending fax" issue resolved. It is possible that the firmware is screwed.

Once that is resolved (or I get a new printer) I will set it up with a static IP.

The stuck in "Sending Fax" mode is a larger problem which affects multiple models.  The fix is usually some kind of reset (key sequence) etc which varies by model. 

Seems to be related to Canon consumer or SMB printers. We have a few image runners which have never had this problem.  Hope you get it sorted.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

T7
Contributor
Canon Australia doesn't seem to know how to fix it. But I'll keep trying.
Thanks
click here to view the gallery
Announcements