cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install scanner from MB5150 on Mac OS X

ineiti
Apprentice

Dear community,

I have a Canon Maxify MB5150 which worked quite well for a couple of years. I could print and scan from all our Macs at home - new and old ones.

For some reason none of the Macs couldn't print anymore around the 20th of September. I re-installed the printer driver and the printer on all Macs, and we could at least print again.

However, I cannot get the scanner to work. Neither using the "Printers and Scanners" from Mac OS, neither using one of the "Canon IJ Scan Utility" tools.

Here is what I tried so far:

• Reset the Mac "Printing system" and re-install the printer
  • Remove all the canon software from my Mac, reboot, re-install the software ("Complete driver set"), re-install the printer
  • Complete reset of the printer
  • Swearing and doing a lot of Google searches

Interestingly, I configured a "scan to server", which still worked. But now after the reset, the "Canon Quick Utility Toolbox" cannot find the scanner anymore, and doesn't let me configure the "Destination Folder Settings". So I have no scanner at all anymore.

What is going on here?

Best,

Linus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ineiti
Apprentice

OK, I think I found the problem: I have a server in the same network which announces my Timemachine-share via Bonjour. For some reason I yet have to find out, the two Bonjour announcements collide.

In the "Add Printer" I only ever saw the "Canon MB5150" as "Canon IJ Network". Now it also shows up as "Bonjour Multifunction". If I choose the "Canon IJ Network", I don't have a scanner. Only when selecting the "Bonjour Multifunction".

Go figure. At least it works again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ineiti
Apprentice

I also tried to use only the 2.4GHz for the wireless network used by the printer and the Macs.

ineiti
Apprentice

OK, I think I found the problem: I have a server in the same network which announces my Timemachine-share via Bonjour. For some reason I yet have to find out, the two Bonjour announcements collide.

In the "Add Printer" I only ever saw the "Canon MB5150" as "Canon IJ Network". Now it also shows up as "Bonjour Multifunction". If I choose the "Canon IJ Network", I don't have a scanner. Only when selecting the "Bonjour Multifunction".

Go figure. At least it works again.

Announcements