cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black vertical line on scans

MrsPhilli
Apprentice

I have an ImageClass mf4370dn and it suddenly has a black vertical line that is printing when I scan a document. It does not show up when I copy it. How do I repair the equipment? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bingo! Abosolutly right. Glass LOOKED clean but it wasn't. As I slowly passed my finger on the glass I could feel  something. I took a credit card edge and removed what ever it was. Wiped with a clean soft cloth and problem solved. No more lines. To be clear, this was on the small strip of glass in front of the big glass bed. Thank you.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

swilliams6102
Apprentice

I am having the same issue with my Pixma TS6120.  I am in the process of scanning photos to save to files on my pc. The only difference from the rest of the complaints is that I am not feeding my photos into the printer.  I am placing them directily on the glass to scan.  I tried cleaning the glass, updating the firmware and restarting the printer with no success.  I don't know what else is left to try.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. 

I've hit the black vertical line problem today with a Pixma TS8052 - simple printer/scanner with no ADF.  It worked fine yesterday but all photo scans today have black lines, scanning at 600 dpi whether jpeg or Tiff.  The platen is spotless and was recleaned.  Scans were initiated either on the control pad at the front of the printer or with 'My Image Garden' software.  The very odd thing is that scanning with Microsoft's simple scan app at the same resolution, etc. produced no lines.  This suggests the underlying problem is a software one.  Anyone like to comment?  Ideally I'd like to get back to using the printer's control pad.

I'VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF THE BLACK LINES APPEARING ON THE PIXMA TS8052 SCANNER!  I had a nearby desk light shining on the platen to check that it was dust and speck free between scans of photoprints.  I assumed that closing the lid would shield the light and of course mostly it did but apparently some light leaked in for when the light was turned off leaving only the ceiling room lights, the black lines disappeared.  Why light leakage causes black lines I don't know.  Maybe some others who have difficulty getting rid of black lines have hit the same problem.  Canon need to look into a slight re-design of their lid.

GoNavyMike
Apprentice

I just started getting this black line also on my Canon Maxify MB2320.  I tried everything they said here but to no avail.  I finally out of frustration rubbed my thumb across the small glass area for the ADF reader.  I thought it would smear or something but low and behold, the black line is gone now.  I tried the credit card trick, I tried the rag dry and wet, I tried blowing it out and nothing worked.  I checked for firmware and software updates but there were no new ones.  I rubbed my thumb acrossed it straight twice and it worked.

Give it a try.  Make sure your hands are completely clean and completely dry... Do not assume your thumb or fingers are clean.  If you have touched anything with your thumb or fingers then they are not clean anymore... Make sure they are COMPLETELY clean and dry.

That only works if the black vertical line appears due to using the ADF.

In my case ADF scanning works fine. I get the black line when I scan letter size pages on the glass platen.

No solution for fixing that yet.

Announcements