cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma iP110 starts up then shuts itself off

tonyinthecity
Contributor

I'm using the Pixma iP110 with macOS Monterey (12.4) and a 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max. I've had the printer working flawlessly since February when I bought my new Mac, then 2 days ago it stopped working. I turn on the printer, it goes through it's bootup routine, the Power light blinks several times, then it shuts itself off. I've tried the reset steps but that didn't help.

Can anyone help?

15 REPLIES 15

AHofmann
Contributor

es, I start having this issue last Sunday. After trying what I could I thought the printer was defect and ordered a new one. However awhile ago I decided to do some more research in order to see if someone else was experiencing this issue and that when I found about this forum. To my surprise many people are complaining about the exact same issue and across different printer models. Then someone was saying that the issue is the connection to the internet. Well, I disconnected first the router, turned on the printer and to my surprise it stayed connected. Then turned on the router and the printer went off. Next I disconnect just the internet but not the router, turned on the printer and it stayed on. That's when I printed all the important stuff before going on with experiments. After that I turned again the internet on and the printer is still on until now. Another user advice was to connect to the printer via an USB cable instead of the LAN (Wi-Fi). Will see if that will be needed but only tomorrow as it's already late here (I'm in the UK). Anyway it seems that the fault is due to the internet being on, which means that somehow the printer is being contacted (or contacting) by something which creates the turning off. I wonder why ...

PS.: Just saw another post with a different solution, being this one be changing the printer DNS on the router.

MC94115
Apprentice

I literally have the same problem and jus started 2 days ago. What is going on?

I just googled the problem and found your post - was there a BIOS code shutdown or something?

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre. Suddenly started to happen to a lot of iP110 owners. I thought maybe it was a hack. Still not sure what it is. The solution appears to be fairly simple:

Others have posted solution similar to this:

1. shut down your modem and router.
2. Shut down printer.
3. Boot up modem and router.
4. Boot up printer.

If that doesn't fix the problem...
5. Rebuild the printer connection in your System Preferences.

I hope that works.

walkerhath
Apprentice

Same issue also just started. No other changes recently than installing new Canon brand cartridges - is anyone getting to a resolution? Also have a Mac

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre. Suddenly started to happen to a lot of iP110 owners. I thought maybe it was a hack. Still not sure what it is. The solution appears to be fairly simple:

Others have posted solutions similar to this:

1. Shut down your modem and router.
2. Shut down printer.
3. Boot up modem and router.
4. Boot up printer.

If that doesn't fix the problem...
5. Rebuild the printer connection in your System Preferences.

I hope that works.

elastique
Apprentice

There is a new firmware update from Canon, that solved the problem...
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service%20notice...

Peony
Apprentice

Thank you for the update link. My printer will not stay on long enough to install the update. Is there a way to update without powering the printer on? Thank you.

You have to deactivate your Wi-Fi on your router. Or switch your Wi-Fi router off. The printer must not be able to connect to any Wi-Fi. 

Then you have to connect your computer to the printer via USB cable.

Then it should work.

tonyinthecity
Contributor

Will the printer stay on if you:
Shut down your printer
Shut down your modem and/or router
Start up printer

Announcements