cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why No CanonFilm or Medium Format Cameras?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I've wondered why Canon got completely out of the film business, and has never looked back.  I have also wondered why is it that Canon doesn't offer a medium format DSLR camera.   I can guess about the film question, not enought being sold to support the product.  But I don't really see why they don't offer a medium format DSLRs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
11 REPLIES 11

@Waddizzle wrote:

I've wondered why Canon got completely out of the film business, and has never looked back.  I have also wondered why is it that Canon doesn't offer a medium format DSLR camera.   I can guess about the film question, not enought being sold to support the product.  But I don't really see why they don't offer a medium format DSLRs.

Maybe not enough would be sold to support the product. MF is very much a niche market, isn't it?

To be honest, I don't really know who uses MF cameras. There must be some who do, obviously, or the cameras wouldn't be made. And they must think they have to, or they wouldn't pay the eye-popping prices. Is there someone here who can throw some light on this seemingly obscure subject? Is MF usage growing, shrinking. or staying the same?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Brand N makes both a film camera and a medium format camera.  A lot of serous photography classes require that students use a film camera, which probably sets them on the path of Brand N for life.

[EDIT]  Apple computer created an entire generation of lifetime users of Apple products by giving away computers to public schools.  What people learn on, is what they tend to stick with.

As far as a medium format goes, Brand N offers up a model that is not very high priced for the medium format market.  I think that Canon would make a seious dent in the medium format market if they had a model to sell.  Of course, a MF camera would need lenses worthy of its' performance, which would open up a whole new world of high performance lenses.

ScottyP
Authority

Hasselblad is reported to be in financial trouble. If an established player in MF can't sell enough units to turn a profit it is hard to picture a new entrant, even a big one like Canon, to have an easy time of it. They would also have to develop a line of lenses for it.  

Of of course I am not an expert in camera marketing. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Hasselblad is reported to be in financial trouble. If an established player in MF can't sell enough units to turn a profit it is hard to picture a new entrant, even a big one like Canon, to have an easy time of it. They would also have to develop a line of lenses for it.  

Of of course I am not an expert in camera marketing. 

Automobile manufacturers do not turn a profit building race cars, either.  But, they are promoting their brand by sponsoring and building race cars, especially stock cars.  I'm not aware any promotion venue for photography that could compare to auto racing.  I doubt one exists that is quite as high profile as NASCAR.

As for Hasselbad, their products are quite expensive.  Even their more consumer oriented products are still priced at more than the down payment on a luxury German sedan.  Brand "N" makes both film and medium format models.  I doubt if they turn a serious profit on either product, but the products do serve to promote the brand as a whole.

Think about this, I wouldn't buy one.  Would you?  I doubt it.  And not likely anybody else here or anybody else you know would.

They only have one advantage which is IQ over a full frame DSLR.  Virtually every othe spec is worse.  Including the price if you arre truly considering a real MF. A Hasselblad.  Is well north of ten grand and in the top-of-the-line it exceeds 50K.

I don't know for sure but I think Nikon discontinued their pseudo MF camera.  Who would buy it?  Not me!

With the 5Ds at 50mp, there is even less appeal to a MF camera.  Canon has and has tested 200mp sensors for FF.

As to film, there is just no market for it.  I believe the Canon EOS Rebel T2 35mm SLR was the last?  It was also the most advanced.  It has been discontinued because of lack interest and sales.  The schools I know of do not require film any longer.

I don't know why they ever did after digital. They do require a manual capable camera, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Scott,

"They would also have to develop a line of lenses for it."

Not necessarily.  It would be no different than using a FF lenses on a crop sensor.  There is a "crop-factor" for MF just there is for APS-C.  For instance a rebel is 1.6x, a 35mm FF is 1x and a MF is .5x.  We might have to coin a new misleading term for it. How about "enlarge-factor"?  Smiley Very Happy

EB

"Hasselblad is reported to be in financial trouble."

Bingo!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Hasselblad is reported to be in financial trouble."

Bingo!

Yes, I have noticed that some of their products have selling at significant discount in recent weeks.  But, every camera Hasselblad makes is very expensive.  Without a bread and butter product, selling only big ticket items, I can see how they could get into financial trouble considering the changes to the global economy in recent years.

Would I buy an MF camera?  If the price/performance ratio made it worth, then one would have to consider it, assuming that you can afford one.  BTW, I do think that Hasselblad products are severely overpriced.

The performance of the 5Ds cameras, and similar products, is a recent innovation in FF performance.  Yeah, it may spell the doom for MF bodies, not unless they find a new performance edge somewhere.

I follow you about the negative cropping with lenses. But, just the same, there is a certain snob appeal to owning a camera made by the manufacturer of the best performing cameras in the world.

"... there is a certain snob appeal to owning a camera made by the manufacturer of the best performing cameras in the world."

I must be a "snob"!  Because I own a 1/2 dozen, "of the best performing cameras in the world".  They are all made by Canon.

I also own several of the best performing lenses made in the world.  Also made by Canon.  As a matter of fact I have been a snob since 1984 when I got my first Canon F1n.

IMG_0039.jpg

"I do think that Hasselblad products are severely overpriced."

So you believe Hasselblad purposely overprices their products for what reason?  To guarantee failure and bankruptcy? Seriously?

"I follow you about the negative cropping with lenses"

Lenses are lenses are lenses.  They care not what camera format you put them on.

Hallmark had every camera format made.  Clear up to 8x10 sheet film cameras. I am familiar with all of them.

EB
Announcements